• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A boring story.

The pipes sticking out of the wall are for an under-slab heating system. There is going to be a section of warehouse that is to become a freezer and the heating system is to prevent the concrete slab from cracking. In the process of boring they cut a conduit with 4160 volt conductors. The second picture shows a 5'6'' deep trench next to and under a RR spur for a new conduit run. The trench will run the entire length of the building.

The spur hasn't been used in several years so they didn't bother to contact the RR. I gave them the option of an engineered back-fill or remove the tracks with the written permission from the RR and the building owner. In either case they must have permission from the RR to be in the RR right of way.

The only permit so far is an electrical permit for conduit and conductors.

IMG_0895-1.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

Re: A boring story.

tiger - And here I was starting to think there wasn't any good commercial stuff in your jurisdiction! :lol: Where's the shoring for that trench? Or do they only let tall people work in it? :roll:

John,

The area I work in now is 90% industrial. Shoring isn't required unless the trench is over 5' deep. So they are 6'' beyond and technically they are required to have shoring but the soil is solid. For 6'' I thought it would be overkill.

Fair enough tiger, as long as it isn't 'over' when someone gets 'killed'... :eek:

Admittedly, the side walls of the trench do appear to be stable, and likely well compacted being a retired railbed that looks undisturbed until now.