• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A bridge between the same building

Mostafa Magdy

I need help regarding the project I work on, I'm using IBC 2018, It is a labour accommodation Ground + 2 floors with occupancy classification R2 sn total occupant load for the building 894 and 298 per floor the building is protected through Automatic Sprinkler System and have 2 exits per floor, The building consists of two geometry connected through an external bridge my question begins here {The door that opens to the bridge is it mandatory to be fire-rated, we have 2 exits for the building and 3 stairs on of them is connected to that bridge can that door be non-fire-rated as long as it's not leading to an exit, how to deal with that bridge
https://pasteboard.co/Ig30gI7pNxet.png

I think this should/would actually be considered 2 separate buildings that are interconnected, not one building. In that case the doors connected to the bridge would be required to be fire rated.

From a structural perspective there is little difference between two towers on a subterranean parking garage and two towers on a concrete podium. In both cases they would be treated as one structure. Do not know the construction and lateral system of the towers in Egypt.

It would seem that from an exiting perspective that what would be approved for two towers on a podium would be acceptable for this project. With the subterranean parking people exiting from the towers would not have to exist through the parking structure.

I think this should/would actually be considered 2 separate buildings that are interconnected, not one building. In that case the doors connected to the bridge would be required to be fire rated.
That is how we would deal with this as well, at least from a life safety perspective.

We really do not have enough information. It depends on a number of factors, all of which are not provided. To best answer the question, any of us would have to carefully review the complete plan set.

Look at IBC Section 3104 for pedestrian walkway requirements. Buildings connected by a pedestrian walkway can be considered two separate buildings Per Section 3104.2, and the area of the pedestrian walkway does not contribute to the building area of either building per Section 3104.1. Section 3104.5 addresses the connection of pedestrian walkways to buildings.

The bridge portion looks like it doubles as an elevator lobby.
I am unclear as to the purpose of the stairs from the bridge. Are they exit stairs or exit access stairs?
Is the bridge also a horizontal exit as part of the design?

In taking a second look, it appears that the stairs and elevator both are open to the bridge. CPET appears to be measured to the doors entering the bridge, which leads me to believe that they are using the bridge as either a horizontal exit or as part of an interior exit stairway. If this is the case, then yes, rated doors are required.

However, the elevator being open to the stairs is throwing me a bit. As I said before, need to look at the whole plan set to give a complete answer.

The bridge portion looks like it doubles as an elevator lobby.
I am unclear as to the purpose of the stairs from the bridge. Are they exit stairs or exit access stairs?
Is the bridge also a horizontal exit as part of the design?
This is the main building entrance through the elevator and stair and the bridge is not meant to be a horizontal exit neither the stair is considered an exit

In taking a second look, it appears that the stairs and elevator both are open to the bridge. CPET appears to be measured to the doors entering the bridge, which leads me to believe that they are using the bridge as either a horizontal exit or as part of an interior exit stairway. If this is the case, then yes, rated doors are required.

However, the elevator being open to the stairs is throwing me a bit. As I said before, need to look at the whole plan set to give a complete answer.
It is just an entrance to the building, it doesn't meant to be an egress stair.

Look at IBC Section 3104 for pedestrian walkway requirements. Buildings connected by a pedestrian walkway can be considered two separate buildings Per Section 3104.2, and the area of the pedestrian walkway does not contribute to the building area of either building per Section 3104.1. Section 3104.5 addresses the connection of pedestrian walkways to buildings.
That's it i think thank you for you help