• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A door and travel distance question for an S-1, Warehouse; New Const.

sdpaddler50

Bronze Member
I normally dont get very involved with the MOE, and will defer to the architect. Couple quesitons in regards to a new warehouse (S-1) being built with sprinklers. I am referencing the Cal Bldg Code, but it's often idential to the IBC:

-CBC 1005 calls out .2 in/doors. Where is the exception noted allowing decrease to .15 if sprinklers provided?

-CBC Table 1016.1 notes max travel distance is 250 ft. which the architect is calling out on the plans. Actual travel distance exceeds this for this project. However, 1016.3 allows for up to 400 ft if sprinklers. Any reasons why he would not apply 1016.3 and quote 400 ft?

Thanks.

hlfire - the building will have ESFR, so we wont need it, unless this local jurisdition has a special ordiance for it. So it appears 400 ft is the max exit access dustance, n0t 250 ft for this particular situation?

-mtlog-so the .15 is gone. I figured that, because I could not find it in the 2010 CBC.

Thanks.

If following the ICC model or embracing it as CalCode the ICC Boca and many others gave an increaed exit capacity if a building contained a fire suppression system ;

.2 doors (167 per 36" Leaf) .3 stairs (100 per 30" within rail grasp) without sprinklers OR .15 doors (236 per 36" leaf) .2 stairs (150 per 30" within rail grasp) with sprinklers?

this always conflicted for states with dueling building and fire codes as the NFPA's did not allow such increases so in its infinite wisdom the ICC with absolutly no influence from

the fire safety folks changed it to align with NFPA standards? ... Curious No?

It's Back in the 2012

1005.3.2 Other egress components.

The capacity, in inches (mm), of means of egress components other than stairways shall be calculated by multiplying the occupant load served by such component by a means of egress capacity factor of 0.2 inch (5.1 mm) per occupant.

Exception: For other than Group H and I-2 occupancies, the capacity, in inches (mm), of means of egress components other than stairways shall be calculated by multiplying the occupant load served by such component by a means of egress capacity factor of 0.15 inch (3.8 mm) per occupant in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2 and an emergency voice/alarm communication system in accordance with Section 907.5.2.2.

Thanks for the input re the .20 and .15. .20 is still noted in the CBC, so for now, that is what needs to be used, unless they adopt for their 2013 version.

-To confirm: 400 ft is the max exit access dustance for an S-1 with sprinklers, n0t 250 ft for this particular situation? I am fairly certain it is 400, but want to make sure i am not missing something.

sdpaddler50 said:
Thanks for the input re the .20 and .15. .20 is still noted in the CBC, so for now, that is what needs to be used, unless they adopt for their 2013 version.-To confirm: 400 ft is the max exit access dustance for an S-1 with sprinklers, n0t 250 ft for this particular situation? I am fairly certain it is 400, but want to make sure i am not missing something.
Table 1016.1 in the 2009 IBC shows 400 ft for S-2, not S-1 which would be maximum of 250 ft with sprinkler

I don’t have access to the IBC. Referring to the 2010 CBC, there is a provision allowing 400 ft travel distance as noted below and these conditions are met. The Arch is quoting 250’, and that distance is exceeded. The Architect is therefore proposing an alternate means of method with smoke studies, etc to allow the 250 ft distance to be exceeded. If we can go with 400 ft, a lot of potential headaches disappear. Anyone out there using the CBC that can confirm the 400 ft is allowable. Again, I see no reason why it’s not, but I don’t want to contradict the Arch, unless I am absolutely correct.

1016.3 Group F-1 and S-1 increase. The maximum exit access travel distance shall be 400 feet (122 m) in Group F-1 or S-1 occupancies where all of the following are met:

1. The portion of the building classified as Group F-1 or S-1 is limited to one story in height,

2. The minimum height from the finished floor to the bottom of the ceiling or roof slab or deck is 24 feet (7315 mm), and

3. The building is equipped throughout with an automatic fire sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.