• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

a little code help

cda

Sawhorse 123
r-22 recovery tank 1000 gallons

person wants to have it inside a building

wants to have his techs bring back recovered r-22 and transfer it to this tank, then company will come and transfer it to a truck for what ever.

tank will stay in place

some code sections IFC???

any thoughts???

ventalation???

Do not have all the details, this is in proposal stage

Mainly can the tank be inside

If so what requirements

Classifacation of material/ hazards

Tech will bring in r22 transfer to the tank then a company will come by and remove th r22 frm the tank

Looks like it would fall under compressed gas

And nfpa 704 "2" as health hazard

Not sure per IFC what kind if health hazard and chapter would apply

Refrigerant, mechanical code, requires a system to monitor it for leaks and to warn occupants if a leak is present.

not sure if this is a system

it seems like it would be more storage, with transfer options

just a 1000 gallon tank setting there most of the time

R-22.

What is the maximum allowable in a building with

No sprinklers

No cabinets

One control area

2006 IFC Chapter 30. R-22 in Table 1103.1 of the 2006 IMC is listed as 2-0-0 which would make it not a hazardous material IMO.

Table 1103.1 also gives the maximum amount per cubic foot of building space as 5.5 pounds per 1000 cu. ft.

Did they give you an MSDS?

TJ

thanks

table 1103.1

I take that amount per occupied space to be max allowable in a system in a building.

this is just storage only, as in warehouse for a a/c business

I would use that amount. They are going to transfer into and out of tank, correct? I'm not sure why a storage tank of refrigerant would be treated differently just because it's not part of a refrigerant system.

I had something similar in my town recently with an MRI repair facility.

Maximum allowable of r22 allowed to be stored???

Warehouse setting??????

Not sprinkled. One control area

What is the cubic area of the room or space the tank will be in? In what form is it stored (gas or liquid)? How much does 1000 gallons of R22 weigh in the form it is stored?

Also check out IFC Section 606. I think you are hung up on the fact that the tank is not part of a refrigeration system. It is still a tank of refrigerant and could leak, so I would treat it as such, especially with transfers taking place. It does have a health of 2 so it's not compressed air...

thanks seems it is not regulated in storage mode only

yes it is an Asphyxiate