• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A little humor

Naval Facilities Engineering Systems Command

They are in charge of all Navy and Marine Corps construction. I've worked with them on two projects - Annapolis and Quantico. I left most meetings wondering how we got from a to b, and neither seeming logical. Suitable to the military, they have a confidence and certainty in their beliefs, even if on a subject or discipline they have never studied or experienced - like my speciality in planning stages and auditoriums and related entertainment technology.

I inspected the construction of water tanks for an Air Force base. The plans had mill specs for everything. There was multiple pages on placing concrete. It’s a wonder that they get anything done.

The sometimes convenient part is they can exempt themselves from nearly any code requirement. Of course the real convenience is the budget which often looked unlimited to me compared to my other work.

$ ~ $ = &

FWIW, the WBDG also includes the Unified Facilities Criteria

( the UFC's ).

The NAVFAC Standards are somewhat like the USACE ( U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers Standards )......Different armed forces branch,
...different Standards.........The Air Force uses the Air Force
Corporate Facilities Standards ( the AFCF Standards ).

It gets even more complicated when the military installation
itself is deemed a Joint Base Facility, when there are multiple
armed forces tenants at that facility.

Want more ?...........All existing and new military construction
is required to also comply with Anti Terrorism Force Protection
( A.T.F.P. ) Standards.

Still want more ?...........All facilities where the public and
"non-able bodied armed forces personnel" are allowed, ...have
to comply with the "adopted" ADA Standards.

There is no end in sight for all of these requirements !........Why
you say ?, because protection of the men & women in uniform

is paramount !!...........Even including the Recruiting locations !

Does anyone remember the shooting in Chattanooga, TN, ...in
2015 ?
- - - > https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/shooting-at-military-recruiting-center-chattanooga-tennessee/

In years \ wars \ conflicts gone by, the fighting was mainly on
"their shores"...........Now, the fighting is on the shores of the U.S.
and it is not going away !

You can think & believe what you want to, but it is not going to
get any better........In fact, it is going to get worse !

& % ~ @

Last edited:
All that I'm certain of is that I never felt safer than when working on a project on the Marine Corps University campus.

I suspect little construction exceeds the regulation and twisted bureaucracy of the US Military. I worked on a lot of Chicago Public Schools and while very bureaucratic, especially in terms of "favored" contractors and manufacturers, not in same league as DOD.