• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A Mall with mostly F-1 ( Commercial Kitchen) of it?

Cedazzi

My first Post! Working on renovating an Arcade, but the use is going to be mostly F-1 Commercial kitchen pods for a kitchen incubator. Would it still be considered a mall since it is not included in the below definition?

"COVERED MALL BUILDING. A single building enclosing
a number of tenants and occupants, such as retail stores,
drinking and dining establishments, entertainment and
amusement facilities, passenger transportation terminals,
offices and other similar uses wherein two or more tenants
have a main entrance into one or more malls."

Thank you!

Was the arcade space a standalone structure or is it attached to a mall? If it's a standalone structure, then it probably never was a covered mall building. If it's part of a larger structure that is a covered mall building, then it depends if it can be considered a tenant space or an anchor building.

The mall is the "covered common pedestrian area" area within a covered mall building. Tenant spaces will have a main entrance into the mall and are considered part of the covered mall buildings, whereas anchor buildings are not. If your newly renovated space will have a main entrance to a mall, but does not have its own independent means of egress, then it is still part of the covered mall building. If it will have its own means of egress independent of the covered mall building, then it can be considered an anchor building.

Spring-Arcade-Building-152-1200x600.jpg

The project is very similar to this. It is all one structure and it is covered. xThe main entrance will be at the end of this main corridor lobby. But the retail and dining stores are now a kitchen incubator (F1 Occupancy) Would it still be a mall? I am wondering if it is still considered a mall and if i should look into ch.4 for special requirements. Thank you

So your're saying that all tenant spaces will become part of a single occupancy building (the Group F-1) and the "mall" will no longer be a common public pedestrian area? If so, then it is no longer a covered mall building.

If the retail and restaurant have access to the mall, and the mall remains an open public pedestrian area, then it is still a covered mall building.

Great thank you Ron. The main corridor will still be open pedestrian serving the retail stores aligned on one side of it.
So I should use the Occupant formula: OLF = (0.00007) (GLA) + 25 or should i break down the areas to their actual occupancy i.e. (F1 , M, A2...)

Each tenant space and anchor building will have an occupant load based on Table 1004.1.2, but the mall occupant load used to determine the means of egress sizing for the mall is based on Equation 4-1 (the equation you show in your post above). That occupant load factor determined through Equation 4-1 is then multiplied by the area of the mall to get the occupant load for the mall.

You can have an arcade in a mall,,

But you can’t have a mall in an arcade??