• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A2/R1 Fixture counts

Mac

Gold Member
This seems complicated, but is probably easy.

A hotel with banquet and restaurant spaces is undergoing type III alterations and general remodeling, an ambitious project. Included is a new outdoor patio seating area for the restaurant, and I am asking the plumbing fixture count be increased to accomodate patrons of the new outdoor area. This has led to another question:

If guests of the hotel have a bathroom in their rooms, can they be excluded from the fixture counts for the A2 areas?

The commentary doesn't comment, but I'd like to poll the forum!

This question is related to simultaneous use or non-simultaneous use ... it comes up often. The same arguement could be made for occupant load in general - do you count the room occupants PLUS the banquet occupants, or assume they are one and the same? I don't think it is appropriate to assume that the banquet facilities are ONLY for hotel guests.

The code requires you to add them up, and presume simultaneous use.