• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A2L Refrigerant

brokenkeys

I did a quick search on here, but didn't see anything, so if this has already been discussed, please forgive me. If not... I just heard there is a federal requirement to change all refrigerants to A2L by 2025. A2L is flammable, which means there are detection requirements, venting requirements, lineset requirements, etc.

The 2024 ICC mechanical code includes numerous A2L refrigerant specific changes. The changes are outlined here: https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/..._Related_Changes_Redline_08.23.2022_FINAL.pdf

My questions are;

1. Has anyone here worked on a project that had to comply with these new A2L requirements?
1.a. If so, how did it go?
2. What happens in locations that don't adopt the latest mechanical code before the federal requirement kicks in?
2.a. FL, for instance, runs a few years behind the model codes. Does that mean there could be a period in the near future where buildings are being permitted & built with flammable A2L refrigerants without the detection and venting requirements outlined in the 2024 ICC code?

At least in the IMC, the big changes for A2L refrigerants came in the 2021 version. I haven't dealt with any on a project yet, and haven't looked too hard at the 2024 IMC yet. I would say if you are on older versions of the code, you would treat the A2L refrigerants as any other A2 refrigerant, because that's the group they are a subset of. One problem I did notice looking in my 2018 IMC is that none of the R-454s are even listed in the refrigerant charts, so if they are used you may have no choice but to look into newer codes for at least that info. I don't know how else you would address them.

The biggest issue for me, as an architect, is the linesets have to be in a dedicated, fire rated, ventilated and monitored shaft. Previously I would provide a 6" wall on two sides of the AHU stacks and call it a day. But now I have to coordinate a rated route with MEP (plus monitoring and ventilating) and take space from the sellable/ leasable area for the shafts, which developers will hate. And of course I won't be paid more for all this extra work.

But at least I learned about this ahead of time. Hopefully others will stumble across this too before it becomes an issue. Learning about this as a permit review comment would be painful. Ooof

Depending on the building layout, it may be an option to route the piping to the exterior and then up/down and then cover it with a decorative enclosure that's not fully enclosed. For replacements that may be about the only option. Also you are allowed to go through 2 floor/ceiling assemblies before a rated shaft is required.