• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

AC within 5' of spa

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Inside a room of a house there is a split air conditioner 2' from the inside hot tub. The air conditioner is all plastic on the outside. But there are plastic switches on it. Do only the switches need to be at least 5' from the spa or the whole AC?

E4203.2 Switching devices. Switching devices shall be
located not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the
inside walls of pools, spas and hot tubs except where separated
from the pool, spa or hot tub by a solid fence, wall, or
other permanent barrier or the switches are listed for use
within 5 feet (1524 mm). Switching devices located in a room.
or area containing a hydromassage bathtub shall be located in
accordance with the general requirements of this code.
[680.22(C); 680.43(C); and 680.72]

If it has no metal on the exterior, I would buy only the switches be outside the 5'. JMHO

I have an image in my head of a hot babe in the hot tub drinking cartia wine and the dude reaches over while still in the water and flips the A/C switch on.

What's the 5' distance for?

Can water enter the A/C unit and cuz any damage?

$ ~ $ ~ $

What's the 5' distance for?
Can water enter the A/C unit and cuz any damage?

The 5' distance is intended to be a deterrent to reaching for the switch.
The switch could be ungrounded, and if said "dude" reaches for it,
he could now become the ground for the circuit.

In reality, water could probably enter the A\C unit and cause damage.
Water & electronics do not mix well.

$ ~ $ ~ $

The 5' distance is intended to be a deterrent to reaching for the switch.
The switch could be ungrounded, and if said "dude" reaches for it,
he could now become the ground for the circuit.

In reality, water could probably enter the A\C unit and cause damage.
Water & electronics do not mix well.
I believe that's as good an answer Rick's gonna get!

I don't think the plastic switches have any bearing and the 5ft distance would require the dude to leave the tub unless he has a dowel rod!:eek:

Inside a room of a house there is a split air conditioner 2' from the inside hot tub. The air conditioner is all plastic on the outside. But there are plastic switches on it. Do only the switches need to be at least 5' from the spa or the whole AC?

E4203.2 Switching devices. Switching devices shall be
located not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the
inside walls of pools, spas and hot tubs except where separated
from the pool, spa or hot tub by a solid fence, wall, or
other permanent barrier or the switches are listed for use
within 5 feet (1524 mm). Switching devices located in a room.
or area containing a hydromassage bathtub shall be located in
accordance with the general requirements of this code.
[680.22(C); 680.43(C); and 680.72]
It is a violation and not allowed.

680.22(C) Switching Devices.
Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted.

OK the remote for the AC is mounted on the wall 1' from the AC. The remote also has switches on it. It could be damaged with a wet hand someone could take it out of the holder and drop it in the spa. I don't think someone could get hurt but I don't see an exception for this.

OK the remote for the AC is mounted on the wall 1' from the AC. The remote also has switches on it. It could be damaged with a wet hand someone could take it out of the holder and drop it in the spa. I don't think someone could get hurt but I don't see an exception for this.
They could remove the batteries while they are in the tub.

Rick,
I think the 5-ft rule applies!

The 5-ft distance for pumps and motors is also in the ISPSC.

The biggest omission I see is they forget to tell you about the window next to the hot tub! another hazard to look for!

Isn't there a remote for the TV and fireplace already? How close is the beer fridge?

Rick,
I think the 5-ft rule applies!

The 5-ft distance for pumps and motors is also in the ISPSC.

The biggest omission I see is they forget to tell you about the window next to the hot tub! another hazard to look for!

Isn't there a remote for the TV and fireplace already? How close is the beer fridge?

i can't find this 5' rule for pumps an d motors in the ISPC or in the IRC.
I know there are minimum distances for receptacles, switches and lighting but I can't find any for pumps and motors.
Please let me know what section this is in.

ISPSC Section 313.7 Emergency shut off switch within sight of spa.

I no that's not the A/C switch, but I think it's still relevant.

i can't find this 5' rule for pumps an d motors in the ISPC or in the IRC.
I know there are minimum distances for receptacles, switches and lighting but I can't find any for pumps and motors.
Please let me know what section this is in.
There's this...

2018 ISPSC 313.7 Emergency Shutoff Switch

An emergency shutoff switch shall be provided to disconnect power to recirculation and jet system pumps and air blowers. Emergency shutoff switches shall be: provided with access; located within sight of the pool or spa; and located not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of the pool or spa.
Exception: Onground storable pools, permanent inground residential swimming pools, residential spas and residential water features.

2021 IRC Sections​

E4203.2 Switching Devices

Switching devices shall be located at least 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of pools, spas and hot tubs unless separated from the pool, spa or hot tub by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier that provides at least a 5-foot (1524 mm) reach distance. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 5 feet (1524 mm) shall be permitted. Switching devices located in a room or area containing a hydromassage bathtub shall be located in accordance with the general requirements for installing equipment in bathrooms. [680.22(C); 680.43(C); and 680.72]

E4203.5 Other Outlets

Other outlets such as for remote control, signaling, fire alarm and communications shall be not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from the inside walls of the pool. Measurements shall be determined in accordance with Section E4203.1. [680.22(D)]

E4203.6 Other Equipment

Other equipment with ratings exceeding the low-voltage contact limit shall be located at least 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall or other permanent barrier. [680.22(E)]

2021 IRC Sections​

E4203.2 Switching Devices

Switching devices shall be located at least 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of pools, spas and hot tubs unless separated from the pool, spa or hot tub by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier that provides at least a 5-foot (1524 mm) reach distance. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 5 feet (1524 mm) shall be permitted. Switching devices located in a room or area containing a hydromassage bathtub shall be located in accordance with the general requirements for installing equipment in bathrooms. [680.22(C); 680.43(C); and 680.72]

E4203.5 Other Outlets

Other outlets such as for remote control, signaling, fire alarm and communications shall be not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from the inside walls of the pool. Measurements shall be determined in accordance with Section E4203.1. [680.22(D)]

E4203.6 Other Equipment

Other equipment with ratings exceeding the low-voltage contact limit shall be located at least 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall or other permanent barrier. [680.22(E)]

We are using the 2018 IRC which does not have the section on "Other Equipment" so it looks like pumps and motors can be within 5' here.