• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access Space

Mech

2015 IMC

306.1 Access. Appliances, control devices, heat exchangers and HVAC system components that utilize energy shall be accessible for inspection, service, repair, and replacement without disabling the function of a fire-resistance-rated assembly or removing permanent construction, other appliances, venting systems, or any other piping or ducts not connected to the appliance being inspected, serviced, repaired or replaced. A level working space not less than 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide shall be provided in front of the control side to service an appliance.

1. Is the 30" depth measure from the front of the appliance or from the front of the control panel? I have always measured from the face of the control panel which may project beyond the face of the appliance.

2. The code does not say the working space must be centered on the appliance or the controls. I assume the working space can be offset as shown below. What say you?

Non-centered working space

3. If the upper water heater is rotated clockwise, must the working space be measured perpendicular and parallel to the control face?

Rotated Heater, non-rotated working space

Rotated Heater, rotated working space

(I am fighting for more space. The owner is fighting for the bare minimum required.)

Thanks in advance.

2015 IMC

306.1 Access. Appliances, control devices, heat exchangers and HVAC system components that utilize energy shall be accessible for inspection, service, repair, and replacement without disabling the function of a fire-resistance-rated assembly or removing permanent construction, other appliances, venting systems, or any other piping or ducts not connected to the appliance being inspected, serviced, repaired or replaced. A level working space not less than 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide shall be provided in front of the control side to service an appliance.

1. Is the 30" depth measure from the front of the appliance or from the front of the control panel? I have always measured from the face of the control panel which may project beyond the face of the appliance.

2. The code does not say the working space must be centered on the appliance or the controls. I assume the working space can be offset as shown below. What say you?

Non-centered working space

3. If the upper water heater is rotated clockwise, must the working space be measured perpendicular and parallel to the control face?

Rotated Heater, non-rotated working space

Rotated Heater, rotated working space

(I am fighting for more space. The owner is fighting for the bare minimum required.)

Thanks in advance.
I think the Real Test is going to be when the Water heater needs to be replaced several years from now.
Also your example doesn't show the traditional location of the return duct, so I think you'll need to make clear, All Electric (Heat Pump) and DHW Certainly not Nat Gas
Also the Duct going into 2 separate Units sharing the same Equipment Closet. Where is the rated assembly that separates the 2 units

Working space has to work. Much like the working space from the electrical code, the 30” will be in front of the relevant apparatus that will be worked on….offset is legal. It can require some leeway with appliances due to the construction that surrounds the appliance but as long as it works …. the intent of the code has been met.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses!!!

Genduct: I had not considered fire ratings as I am not the architect on this project. I do represent mechanical and plumbing, but now I can point out the architectural deficiencies that need to be addressed. This is the architect's first attempt at arranging the equipment after my equipment arrangement was rejected. No one has looked at ductwork, plumbing, venting, gas piping yet, but yes, that is a major concern for us.

Both the water heater and HVAC are natural gas units. Is there a problem I am overlooking?

The water heaters are supposed to have powered combustion air intake and exhaust venting.

The HVAC units will have sleeves through the wall to draw combustion air and I suppose reject the exhaust air. (My coworker is responsible for the HVAC design.)

Thank you everyone for your responses!!!

Genduct: I had not considered fire ratings as I am not the architect on this project. I do represent mechanical and plumbing, but now I can point out the architectural deficiencies that need to be addressed. This is the architect's first attempt at arranging the equipment after my equipment arrangement was rejected. No one has looked at ductwork, plumbing, venting, gas piping yet, but yes, that is a major concern for us.

Both the water heater and HVAC are natural gas units. Is there a problem I am overlooking?

The water heaters are supposed to have powered combustion air intake and exhaust venting.

The HVAC units will have sleeves through the wall to draw combustion air and I suppose reject the exhaust air. (My coworker is responsible for the HVAC design.)
YOU STATED THAT THEY ARE GETTING 100% OF COMBUSTION AIR FOR BOTH, FROM OUTSIDE, SOUNDS GOOD TO ME
The HVAC units will have sleeves (NOT LOUVERS, BUT PVC OR BETTER CPVC PIPES) through the wall to draw combustion air and I suppose reject the exhaust air. (My coworker is responsible for the HVAC design.)

PERHAPS I CAN TAKE OFF MY CODE REVIEW HAT AND PUT ONMY CONTRACTOR HAT AND SUGGEST YOU CONSIDER A SINGLE, CONDENSING HOT WATER UNIT THAT COULD PROVIDE DOMESTIC HOT WATER PLUS SOME OF THAT WATER FEEDING A HW COIL IN AND AIRHANDLER. THOSE UNITS ARE REALLY SMALL AND YOUR COWORKERMIGHT CONSIDER A BUFFER TANK TO DEAL WITH SHORT CYCLING

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO SPEAK, genduct@gmail.com