• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access through bedroom?

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Isn't there a code reference that prohibits one bedroom being access through another bedroom? I can't find anything and am wondering if this is a child welfare issue or building code issue I just can't find.

Inspector 102 said:
I can't find anything and am wondering if this is a child welfare issue or building code issue I just can't find.
It's a real estate issue.

As long as there is proper emergency egress there's not a problem.

Unless you have adopted the IPMC, 404.4.2 prohibits accessing a bedroom though another bedroom as the only means of access.

So brudgers designs a house with access from one bedroom going thru another which is not prohibited in the IRC or IBC. fatboy has to issue the permit because it complies with the building code. On the day of final inspection he issues the CO and then the violation letter for the property maintinance code :banghd

Don't you just love the consistency in the codes

From the `06 IPMC, Section 404.4.2 - Access from bedrooms.

Bedrooms shall not constitute the only means of access to other bedrooms or

habitable spaces and shall not serve as the only means of egress from other

habitable spaces.

Exception: Units that contain fewer than two bedrooms.

mtlogcabin said:
So brudgers designs a house with access from one bedroom going thru another which is not prohibited in the IRC or IBC. fatboy has to issue the permit because it complies with the building code. On the day of final inspection he issues the CO and then the violation letter for the property maintinance code :banghdDon't you just love the consistency in the codes
We have not adopted the IPMC and would not have the problem, but I am curious as to how those AHJs that have adopted the IPMC would handle the problem should it arise.

mtlogcabin said:
So brudgers designs a house with access from one bedroom going thru another which is not prohibited in the IRC or IBC. fatboy has to issue the permit because it complies with the building code. On the day of final inspection he issues the CO and then the violation letter for the property maintinance code :banghdDon't you just love the consistency in the codes
IRC 2009

R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required. Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room...
Doesn't the word 'every' have the same effect as the IPMC?

Thanks for the input. I am guessing that I read the requirement in the maintenance code, however we have not adopted it. I will proceed accordingly.

If I came across that during plan review, I would advise the permit applicant that as soon as the CO was issued the structure would be in violation PM code.

imhotep said:
IRC 2009Doesn't the word 'every' have the same effect as the IPMC?
The IPMC ? is about access. 310.1 of the IRC seems to only address egress and a single egress window would apply.

gbhammer said:
The IPMC ? is about access. 310.1 of the IRC seems to only address egress and a single egress window would apply.
I take the point. Two bedrooms, both provided egress windows with one bedroom accessed through an adjoining one.

imhotep said:
I take the point. Two bedrooms, both provided egress windows with one bedroom accessed through an adjoining one.
Doesn’t seem right that’s for sure, the only time you’re ever likely to even see it is in shotgun homes that were built after the civil war up until about the depression.

In our area the older industial towns have a version of the shotgun home that is a bit wider but basically is four rooms a front door a back door no halls all conected.

I just read the IPMC section cited. That seems plain silly. It refers to not only bedrooms, but habitable spaces as well...

Would that mean that if I have a nice master bedroom suite, it would be an IPMC violation to have an attached "office" or "private study", which is clearly habitable space, accessed through the master bedroom???

Back to the original point, couldn't you use IRC 102.2

R102.2 Other laws. The provisions of this code shall not be

deemed to nullify any provisions of local, state or federal law.

And consider the IPMC as a "provision of a local law"... and thus not allow the configuration under the IRC. Legal logic, I think makes sense. Allowing them to build it, then telling them it is in violation of another statue would be contrary to the IRC.

Bottom line, if you have adopted the IPMC, you couldn't allow this configuration. If you have not adopted it, then it would be allowed.

JMHO

Back to the original point, couldn't you use IRC 102.2R102.2 Other laws. The provisions of this code shall not be

deemed to nullify any provisions of local, state or federal law.

And consider the IPMC as a "provision of a local law"... and thus not allow the configuration under the IRC. Legal logic, I think makes sense. Allowing them to build it, then telling them it is in violation of another statue would be contrary to the IRC.
Good point and I believe you are correct.

fatboy said:
Unless you have adopted the IPMC, 404.4.2 prohibits accessing a bedroom though another bedroom as the only means of access.
It is not two bedrooms. It's a suite.

It does, and it is, and on my next go-round will be amended out. Fortunately have not had to deal with a situation.