• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access to all spaces

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Is there a requirement for all spaces to be provided with access? This proposed tenant finish is enclosing an area behind a walk-in cooler with no means to access the space. IBC 1208 includes attics and crawlspaces, and where mechanical appliances require access. This space does not seem to be included. Seems like a bad idea, but I can't put my finger on a code violation at the moment. About 26sf², no ventilation is provided. They are blacking out the windows and burying it. The shell thermal envelope is at the exterior wall.

1712584890540.png

I see two circles next to the column at the left side of the space. Pipes? Conduits? Mechanical or Electrical Code requirements to provide access for maintenance?

I see two circles next to the column at the left side of the space. Pipes? Conduits? Mechanical or Electrical Code requirements to provide access for maintenance?
I noticed too, but there is nothing in the shell or in this T/I that indicates what they are or requires them.

How do you inspect it?
I guess everything would be inspected prior to installing the wall before they install the cooler. But I understand the concern, just not sure I have a code reference for it. I occasionally see finish plans that do not incorporate windows installed at C/S, but not usually empty floor area. I guess I just look at it the same as someone covering a window or furring a wall out. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something for a threshold amount of area covered up. There is no ceiling over it, so it is open to structure and is accessible from the adjacent dropped ceiling. I'll call it a day, just odd.

It's a utility chase with a window. I guess they can remove a pane of glass if they ever need to get to the pipes.

The fact that there's a walk-in cooler indicates potential Health Department interaction. The HD here is real particular about keeping things clean and it is doubtful that a space that can't be cleaned would be allowed. Perhaps a cap that extends from the top of the cooler to the wall would mitigate that issue.

If the building is sprinklered, then you will need to sprinkler that space.
And sprinkler heads are required to be serviced. Access required. If the space is not used for anything at all, they could do a cost analysis to determine if it will be cheaper to sprinkler it and provide access or stuff it full of insulation.