• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility with change of use

kasa

2105 IEBC

I've got a 2-story building with a office occupancy on 1st and apartments on 2nd. They're proposing a partial change of use to the building, to make the 1st floor a daycare (E). The building has no accessible entrances, due to door clearances and/or steps. I'm at IEBC 1012.8.1, but find that section only applies to 'alterations'. If they propose no alterations, they get to keep the inaccessible entrances? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

In my state the IEBC and IBC do not dictate when accessibility requirements kick in. An additional 20% of what is being spent on the remodel/rehab/alterations must be spent for ADA mitigation. You start with parking and work to/into the building.

2105 IEBC

I've got a 2-story building with a office occupancy on 1st and apartments on 2nd. They're proposing a partial change of use to the building, to make the 1st floor a daycare (E). The building has no accessible entrances, due to door clearances and/or steps. I'm at IEBC 1012.8.1, but find that section only applies to 'alterations'. If they propose no alterations, they get to keep the inaccessible entrances? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

ADA is based on use, as a T-III use occupying an existing building it must comply with min. ADA requirements for that use.

So it is mixed use separated?...I don't see how you make an office into a daycare with no alterations.....No added sinks? Nothing?
No, non-separated, except IBC 420 for the apartments from each other and rest of building. The office had a couple non-accessible old bathrooms, so they're going to use those. It's going to be pretty small.

ADAguy- what does T-III mean?

"Not", T-III is the ADA classification for public (non-government) uses such as he is proposing. He must comply with local code and ADA and possibly state licensing for this use.