• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Means of Egress - Alterations

ArchATL

IBC 2006, Article 1007.1, Execption 1 states we do not have to provide accessible means of egress in a building that is an alteration to an existing building. We are gutting the entire second floor of a building and adding back assisted living units (I-1 occupancy). Does this mean we can ignore the requirements for accessible means of egress?

Re: Accessible Means of Egress - Alterations

What is the current use and occupancy type of the building? Will the entire building be I-1 when you are done?

This does not require a change of occupancy - it was already I-1.

That depends ---- I beleive your state (ATL Ga) uses NFPA 101 for new and existing buildings in health care....(somebody help me out here).

The answer may be in these documents (as I do not have them readily available) also,

If the nursing hme recieves federal monies, I believe that they may be required to provide more accessibility than was existing up to 20 percent cost of the project.

More importantly, ADA guidelines would require the 20 percent expenditures in accessibility upgrades for existing structures.

I do not see these renovation/alterations not being a part of the primary area of a nursing home (JMHO)