• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Ramp - minimum width

NCRooster

Hi all, first time posting here.

I'm working on a project in NC (2018 NCBC) that is a renovation of an old warehouse building, with a new elevated patio wrapping the entire building and various stairs and ramps leading from the patio to grade. The ramp in question is an exterior ramp at the rear of the building that we are showing as 38" clear between handrails. The inspector is asking us to increase it to 48" "per Chapter 11." It was my understanding that exterior ramps, unlike other exterior pathways, only need to be 36" to be accessible per A117.1 403.5.1 Exception 4 and 405.5. I'm not sure what part of Chapter 11 the inspector is referring to, but if 1104.1 or 1104.2, we have another ramp near the front of the building that is 60" clear, so I don't believe either of these sections would require the rear ramp to be 48".

I absolutely want to comply with accessibility requirements, but it seems like I am meeting ANSI (and ADA). Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

36" if the Occupant Load is under 50 otherwise it would be 44" minimum width.

CHAPTER 11
ACCESSIBILITY
User note:
About this chapter: Chapter 11 contains provisions that set forth requirements for accessibility of buildings and their associated sites and facilities for people with physical disabilities. The fundamental philosophy of the code on the subject of accessibility is that everything is required to be accessible. This is reflected in the basic applicability requirement (see Section 1103.1). The code’s scoping requirements then address the conditions under which accessibility is not required in terms of exceptions to this general mandate. While the IBC contains scoping provisions for accessibility (for example, what, where and how many), ICC A117.1, Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities, is the referenced standard for the technical provisions (in other words, how). Accessibility criteria for existing buildings are addressed in the International Existing Building Code®. The International Residential Code® references Chapter 11 for accessibility provisions; therefore, this chapter may be applicable to housing covered under the International Residential Code. The provisions in the I-Codes are intended to meet or exceed the requirements in the federal accessibility requirement found in the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act.
There are many accessibility issues that not only benefit people with disabilities, but also provide a tangible benefit to people without disabilities. This type of requirement can be set forth in the code as generally applicable without necessarily identifying it specifically as an accessibility-related issue. Such a requirement would then be considered as having been “mainstreamed.” For example, visible alarms are located in Chapter 9 and accessible means of egress and ramp requirements are addressed in Chapter 10.

1012.5.1 Width and capacity.
The minimum width and required capacity of a means of egress ramp shall be not less than that required for corridors by Section 1020.2. The clear width of a ramp between handrails, if provided, or other permissible projections shall be 36 inches (914 mm) minimum.

1708547954232.png

36" if the Occupant Load is under 50 otherwise it would be 44" minimum width.

CHAPTER 11
ACCESSIBILITY
User note:
About this chapter: Chapter 11 contains provisions that set forth requirements for accessibility of buildings and their associated sites and facilities for people with physical disabilities. The fundamental philosophy of the code on the subject of accessibility is that everything is required to be accessible. This is reflected in the basic applicability requirement (see Section 1103.1). The code’s scoping requirements then address the conditions under which accessibility is not required in terms of exceptions to this general mandate. While the IBC contains scoping provisions for accessibility (for example, what, where and how many), ICC A117.1, Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities, is the referenced standard for the technical provisions (in other words, how). Accessibility criteria for existing buildings are addressed in the International Existing Building Code®. The International Residential Code® references Chapter 11 for accessibility provisions; therefore, this chapter may be applicable to housing covered under the International Residential Code. The provisions in the I-Codes are intended to meet or exceed the requirements in the federal accessibility requirement found in the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act.
There are many accessibility issues that not only benefit people with disabilities, but also provide a tangible benefit to people without disabilities. This type of requirement can be set forth in the code as generally applicable without necessarily identifying it specifically as an accessibility-related issue. Such a requirement would then be considered as having been “mainstreamed.” For example, visible alarms are located in Chapter 9 and accessible means of egress and ramp requirements are addressed in Chapter 10.

1012.5.1 Width and capacity.
The minimum width and required capacity of a means of egress ramp shall be not less than that required for corridors by Section 1020.2. The clear width of a ramp between handrails, if provided, or other permissible projections shall be 36 inches (914 mm) minimum.

View attachment 12913

Thanks for the response. This is just a shell renovation, and the client doesn't have all the tenants lined up yet, but the total occupant load for the building will be less than 300 and there are 4 stairs and 2 ramps, so it sounds like we should be in the clear here.

Why would the new elevated patio have the accessible ramp placed on the "Back of the building"?

There is a large parking lot that wraps the side and the back of the building. The side of the building facing the parking is the primary facade, with most entrances to tenant spaces on this side. We have another ramp at the front corner of the building that is 60" clear.

When a ramp is adjacent to stairs the stair width is usually sized for the occupant load and the ramp, which would usually be used only be disabled people, can be 36" between handrails.

The ramp should be sized for the occupant load if there are no stairs adjacent to the it.

When a ramp is adjacent to stairs the stair width is usually sized for the occupant load and the ramp, which would usually be used only be disabled people, can be 36" between handrails.

The ramp should be sized for the occupant load if there are no stairs adjacent to the it.
Thanks for weighing in, this is very good information to have on hand. Is this located in the code anywhere, or is this just common practice (along the lines of using right angles for egress travel distance)?

NC requires 48" minimum between the handrails on accessible ramps.

Ran into this about 4 years ago with a client.

View attachment 12924

the link to the website is https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/NCBC2018/chapter-11-accessibility#NCBC2018_Ch11_Sec1104
Absolutely correct - I hadn't realized NC had added those lines to 1104.2. We will be increasing the ramp clear width to 48" to meet the code. Thanks all!

He said there is a 60” ramp, doesn't that meet the minimum requirement?
EH that was one of the ramps, the OP noted the inspector was calling for minimum 48" between, Thus, one would assume the ramp the op was talking about was smaller than 48". NC requires 48"

ADASAD 403.5.1 requires a 36" clear width for accessible paths, and passing spaces no farther apart than 200 ft. when the path width is less than 60". ANSI A117.1 is the same as far as I know.

Most ramps I've seen are adjacent to stairs so only one person will be using them at a time, and are less than 200 ft. long.

Since NC has amended the code to require a 48" wide accessible path, you would have to request a code modification based on the short length of the ramp and that people wouldn't be going both up and down at the same time. Unfortunately the word of the code doesn't always match the intent.

For the accessible ramp, in NYC needs to be 1:12 ratio have 36" width and 5'X5' platform for any turning points
for more information you can check this https://hnrepublic.com/what-is-ada-accessible/
If you need any ADA Cad File detail please check https://hnrepublic.com/ada-handicap-details/
You are coming out strong, right out of the gate with your first post and posting links to your website. The spam system flagged you and I am looking at it manually to verify. Would you like to advertise here on the forum?