• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible route and entrances

rhall

I have a new recreation facility that has two accessible entrances. The plan shows a sidewalk the parking area to the front door but not to the other door. Can the door be considered accessible if it is not tied to an accessible route?

So, you are saying that one door just dumps to a landing, with no paved access to the public way?

rhall said:
i have a new recreation facility that has two accessible entrances. The plan shows a sidewalk the parking area to the front door but not to the other door. Can the door be considered accessible if it is not tied to an accessible route?
No, you are accessible, or not accessible. No partially accessible ....

Yes, the other door opens to a courtyard of sorts. There is an 11ft difference in grade that is served by stairs to an upper parking lot. All accessible parking is provided at the main entrance at the front of the building because of the grade at the site. There are other doors at the front that are designed only as exits. I am thinking that I need to require one of them to be tied to the accessible route to the accessible parking.

I also recommend 1007.2 & 1024.6 which require access to the public right of way or an area for assisted rescue in accordance with 1007.8. Where exit stairs are involved 1007.3 may be applicable as well. Accessible entrances are covered in 1105 with some exceptions.

Join Date Feb 2010
Mark,

This is one of those times where we CAN go above the standard and welcome another

member, ..again! `Sides, s/he has only posted 5 times. I figured I would

welcome her / him again! :D

But "thank you" for your input!

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. I referred the Architect to 1007.2 and told them that it either had to be part of the accessible route or meet one of the other conditions and will see what response/fix they propose.

Thanks,

Richard