• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible route in a 3 story building

Sifu

SAWHORSE
IBC 1104.4 exc. #1 does not require an accessible route if the aggregate area is < 3,000sf², AND located above and below the accessible floor. My question is about AND, and above and below. Is the intent that this exception only applies to the stories located directly above and/or below the accessible level, or does it apply to all stories? For example, a 2 story building with an accessible first floor and a floor above it of < 3,000sf² would be generally exempt from an accessible route to the 2nd floor. But, given a 3 story building, with an accessible first floor and two upper floors with an aggregate area of < 3,000sf² require an accessible route to the 2nd floor now, since the AND says the inaccessible level must be [directly?] above (or below) the accessible level. Basically, can a 3 story building exist without an accessible route to all levels?

No, that would not be the intent as I have understood it. If the aggregate of the non-accessible levels is less than 3,000sf - being above or below the main level which shall be accessible - then I'd say the exemption applies.

No, that would not be the intent as I have understood it. If the aggregate of the non-accessible levels is less than 3,000sf - being above or below the main level which shall be accessible - then I'd say the exemption applies.
The proposal is the take 2,000sf² per floor, two-story building and add either an occupied roof, or a partial story to it. If the 2nd floor is 2,000sf², and the new occupied roof/story is < 1,000sf² this would meet the exception in your opinion, because the inaccessible levels, do not exceed the 3,000sf² limitation? I ask because the original proposal was the entire roof, and I cited the 3,000sf² limitation, so they have now proposed to make just enough of the roof unoccupied to get to 3,000sf² and I haven't encountered this before.

You need to add the all the stories below the accessible story if there is any (basement) to the 2nd and 3rd stories to get the total aggregate area. Does not mean directly above and/or below the accessible level

You need to add the all the stories below the accessible story if there is any (basement) to the 2nd and 3rd stories to get the total aggregate area. Does not mean directly above and/or below the accessible level
Correct, it is aggregate.