• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible route to an island

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
A resort with a lake is building a small snack bar on an island that you can only take a boat to or swim to get to. You could also walk to it because it is not deep. I was worried about the accessible route.

1104.2 Within a site. At least one accessible route shall connect
accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements
and accessible spaces that are on the same site.
Exceptions:
1. An accessible route is not required between accessible
buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements
and accessible spaces that have, as the only
means of access between them, a vehicular way not
providing for pedestrian access.

There is no definition of a vehicle in the IBC.
Is a boat a vehicle? Definitions seem to be mixed when googling this.
Is being able to swim or walk in water (wade) to somewhere require an accessible route?

In PA we are not allowed to think for ourselves when it comes to accessibility and must strictly comply to the code as written.

A resort with a lake is building a small snack bar on a island that you can only take a boat to or swim to get to. You could also walk to it because it is not deep. I was worried about the accessible route.

1104.2 Within a site. At least one accessible route shall connect
accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements
and accessible spaces that are on the same site.
Exceptions:
1. An accessible route is not required between accessible
buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements
and accessible spaces that have, as the only
means of access between them, a vehicular way not
providing for pedestrian access.

There is no definition of a vehicle in the IBC.
Is a boat a vehicle? Definitions seem to be mixed when googling this.
Is being able to swim or walk in water (wade) to somewhere require an accessible route?

In PA we are not allowed to think for our selves when it comes to accessibility and must strictly comply to the code as written.
If you can walk to it, It sounds like you have pedestrian access.

I personally would
consider a boat a vehicle.

I'm glad it is not my decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

I use Webster's. A boat is a vehicle, and a body of water is the way the vehicle gets to the island, hence a vehicular way. Will that hold up for a determined attorney or the DOJ? NO IDEA, but the logic seems sound.

Definition of vehicle

1: a means of carrying or transporting something
planes, trains, and other vehicles: such as
a: MOTOR VEHICLE
b: a piece of mechanized equipment

Based on the 2009 IBC 1104.2 commentary (attached), it looks like a question of intent. If we are within a site (and therefore covered by this section of the code) and we intend for people to walk to the facility, an accessible route is required.

Attachments

• 1104-2.png
    1104-2.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 2
I would only consider the boat to be a vehicle if there is a dock. Docks are specifically covered under the IBC (1110.4.9) and A117.1 (1105).

Found out it really isn't a resort, but just a camp. By boats they mean kayaks and canoes, and maybe jet skis. They may have something else to take things like food and equipment to the island. No docks are planned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a kids summer camp, or an adult "camp"?

If it's a private snack bar on a private island that the public can't drive to, then it's not an accessible building/facility/element/space either way. And if it's a summer camp and they have a camper who requires accessible features to reach the private snack bar on the private island, the camp will make plenty of "reasonable accommodation" to get that camper out there if they want to go.

Alternate methods and means of access must be provided. It can be done without exception.

Unless you can either part the waters or walk on water, the water is a vehicular way not providing pedestrian access.
You may need an accessible route from the accessible dock to the new accessible snack bar.

Unless you can either part the waters or walk on water, the water is a vehicular way not providing pedestrian access.
You may need an accessible route from the accessible dock to the new accessible snack bar.
No way...

If that were the case, then every business along a river or beach wherein people could possibly arrive via a boat would be obligated to do the same.

Oh, you have a business on the beach? A beach where a boat could beach itself and people unload and walk to your business? Ok... since that "could" happen, now you must have an accessible dock with an accessible route from the dock to your business. NOPE!!!

Any body of water could be a vehicular way. I get that. Every dog could bite; doesn't mean every dog should be muzzled. Use some logic and common sense here.

No way...

If that were the case, then every business along a river or beach wherein people could possibly arrive via a boat would be obligated to do the same.
If there is a dock it must be accessible. If no dock is provided, you don't need to add one.

In this specific case they must have some way for people to get to the island. In this case, they must provide an accessible access also; a dock.

No way...

Oh, you have a business on the beach? A beach where a boat could beach itself and people unload and walk to your business? Ok... since that "could" happen, now you must have an accessible dock with an accessible route from the dock to your business. NOPE!!!

Any body of water could be a vehicular way. I get that. Every dog could bite; doesn't mean every dog should be muzzled. Use some logic and common sense here.

I am saying they do NOT have to provide access TO the island.
But if you are providing a dock, it needs to be accessible.
If you are not providing a dock, then no problem.

If there is a dock it must be accessible. If no dock is provided, you don't need to add one.

In this specific case they must have some way for people to get to the island. In this case, they must provide an accessible access also; a dock.
I agree that if a dock is provided, then the snack stand should be accessible.

I disagree that because a snack stand is added, that they must also add (2) docks.

I agree that if a dock is provided, then the snack stand should be accessible.

I disagree that because a snack stand is added, that they must also add (2) docks.
They need to get people to the snack stand on the island somehow. Without a dock maybe they're landing boats on the beach? Whatever they are doing to get people to the island now, they need to provide an accessible means of getting mobility impaired people to the island also.

If you're just a stand on the beach and people can land their boat on the beach if they want, no problem, no dock required. This seems different because they would be denying access to some people that they are providing for others.