• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Route

RJMCGUIRE

I'm working on a three story secondary school building where due to grades one stair can not provide an accessible route out of the building; however, an area of refuge could be provided.

am i reading section 1007.2 exception #2 correctly? that it is ok that an accessible route; i.e. stair treads instead of a ramp; is not provided; but that an area of refuge is and that if someone needed assistance exiting the building that they could wait inside the stair enclosure for assistance?

thank you.

r

Possible....but you also have to meet all of the requirements for the area of refuge which may include a communication system....I assume this is a sprinklered building?

1007.3 Enclosed exit stairways.

An enclosed exit stairway, to be considered part of an accessible means of egress, shall have a clear width of 48 inches (1219 mm) minimum between handrails and shall either incorporate an area of refuge within an enlarged floor-level landing or shall be accessed from either an area of refuge complying with Section 1007.6 or a horizontal exit.

Exceptions:

1. Open exit stairways as permitted by Section 1019.1 are permitted to be considered part of an accessible means of egress.

2. The area of refuge is not required at open stairways that are permitted by Section 1019.1 in buildings or facilities that are equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.

3. The clear width of 48 inches (1219 mm) between handrails and the area of refuge is not required at exit stairways in buildings or facilities equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.

4. The clear width of 48 inches (1219 mm) between handrails is not required for enclosed exit stairways accessed from a horizontal exit.

5. Areas of refuge are not required at exit stairways serving open parking garages.

yes, the building is sprinkled.

also, i can get down and out in under 250 feet so the enclosed stairs aren't needed; but thought it'd be good to have them enclosed so that an accessible stair is provided along with the area of refuge.

i've made sure to provide the 48" clear width between handrails.

thanks for your response.

r

there are more area of refuge requirements including but not limited to IBC 1007.6.3 Two-way communication. Areas of refuge shall be provided with a two-way communication system complying with Sections 1007.8.1 and 1007.8.2.