• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible shower - projection into clear space allowed?

NCRooster

SAWHORSE
Came across this diagram of an accessible shower the other day. I was under the assumption that nothing was allowed within the clear space in front of the shower (with the exception of sinks in the case of roll-in showers), but this shows the toilet grab bar overlapping the clearance. Am I missing something here? For reference, I'm using IBC 2021 and 2017 A117.1.

1713903185833.png

Came across this diagram
What is the source of this diagram? This doesn’t affect your question, but the floor clearance at the lavatory should extend to the faucet levers.

I was under the assumption that nothing was allowed within the clear space in front of the shower (with the exception of sinks in the case of roll-in showers), but this shows the toilet grab bar overlapping the clearance. Am I missing something here? For reference, I'm using IBC 2021 and 2017 A117.1.
Unfortunately ADA/A117.1 305 does not state what the floor clearance is allowed to overlap. A clue that the intent of the ADA is that grab bars not overlap floor clearances may be inferred from several diagrams in the U.S. Access Board Technical Guide Chapter 6 regarding bathrooms:

TBCF 240423 grab bar overlap 01.jpg
This shows a door maneuvering clearance shifted away from the wall because there is a grab bar along the wall by the door. I know that’s a door, but maybe it helps clarify the general intent of the floor clearances.

Also in the same document we see a shower pulled away from the wall with a side grab bar at the toilet, maybe they did that so the grab bar wouldn’t overlap the clearance at the shower:

TBCF 240423 grab bar overlap 02.png

Another section of the same document says, “No elements, including lavatories, can overlap this clearance as they would impede transfer.”

The preceding images are found here:

The U.S. Access Board technical documents are not law but maybe the comments above indicate that the intent was that grab bars not overlap floor clearances.

With all that said, it’s too bad that 305 doesn’t address the topic of overlapping elements. Compare that with ADA 604.3.2 and A117.1 604.3.3, these give us a list of things the clearance around the water closet is allowed to overlap, one of which is the grab bars around the toilet.

Regarding the overlap with a lavatory, remember that ADA 608.2.2.1 and A117.1 608.2.2.2 require that the lavatory overlapping the floor clearance at the shower not be located next to the seat or controls.

Thanks for sharing this article, looks like they have a lot of other interesting blog posts. Their photographs are helpful, reminds me of a thread started by jar546, I thought this thread generated a very decent discussion:

What is the source of this diagram? This doesn’t affect your question, but the floor clearance at the lavatory should extend to the faucet levers.
Great catch on the lavatory clearance - I'd missed that. It's just one of the first google results for "ada shower plan" - a coworker of mine was showing this plan to me while we were discussing the bathroom layouts on a project.

I agree that the intent is surely that grab bars and other elements can't overlap the shower clearance. It's a pity that this isn't clearly stated.

Thanks for sharing this. I will definitely go through the other blog posts on there. Makes me think of this website:

Great catch on the lavatory clearance - I'd missed that. It's just one of the first google results for "ada shower plan" - a coworker of mine was showing this plan to me while we were discussing the bathroom layouts on a project.
Thank you for the compliment. Regarding the diagram, I was just wondering, I noticed it said “Fig. 27” and was wondering what the book or resource was. I found the same drawing online, it’s from a hardware supplier’s site.

It's a pity that this isn't clearly stated.
I agree.

Makes me think of this website:
I stumbled upon this site last year maybe when I was researching customer service counters, I like his annotated photographs.

This is a great thread as well - thank you for sharing!
You’re welcome!