• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Single Toilet Room Door

VAC

SAWHORSE
I know accessible toilet compartments need to be self closing.
Does that mean that accessible single toilet room (not stalls) doors need to have closers (or will spring hinges suffice?)

I can't find any reference on ICC 117.1 nor ADA to requirements (other than latches, etc)
Only requirements for door closers
IBC only addresses privacy

Thanks!

No requirement as a toilet room has more maneuvering space available vs a toilet compartment

Reactions: VAC
The ADA standards and ICC A117.1 require doors serving accessible toilet compartments and ambulatory accessible compartments to have self-closing doors, as well as pull handles on both sides of the door near the latch. Here’s the section from the ADA standards that addresses accessible toilet compartments:

604.8.1.2 Doors. Toilet compartment doors, including door hardware, shall comply with 404 except that if the approach is to the latch side of the compartment door, clearance between the door side of the compartment and any obstruction shall be 42 inches (1065 mm) minimum. Doors shall be located in the front partition or in the side wall or partition farthest from the water closet. Where located in the front partition, the door opening shall be 4 inches (100 mm) maximum from the side wall or partition farthest from the water closet. Where located in the side wall or partition, the door opening shall be 4 inches (100 mm) maximum from the front partition. The door shall be self-closing. A door pull complying with 404.2.7 shall be placed on both sides of the door near the latch. Toilet compartment doors shall not swing into the minimum required compartment area.

The ADA standards and ICC A117.1 require doors serving accessible toilet compartments and ambulatory accessible compartments to have self-closing doors, as well as pull handles on both sides of the door near the latch. Here’s the section from the ADA standards that addresses accessible toilet compartments:

604.8.1.2 Doors. Toilet compartment doors, including door hardware, shall comply with 404 except that if the approach is to the latch side of the compartment door, clearance between the door side of the compartment and any obstruction shall be 42 inches (1065 mm) minimum. Doors shall be located in the front partition or in the side wall or partition farthest from the water closet. Where located in the front partition, the door opening shall be 4 inches (100 mm) maximum from the side wall or partition farthest from the water closet. Where located in the side wall or partition, the door opening shall be 4 inches (100 mm) maximum from the front partition. The door shall be self-closing. A door pull complying with 404.2.7 shall be placed on both sides of the door near the latch. Toilet compartment doors shall not swing into the minimum required compartment area.
Thank you!

A Toilet Compartment is not a toilet room. it is in a toilet room.

And NO you do not, per ADASAD, need a closer on the toilet room door.

Advisory 213.3.1 Toilet Compartments.
A toilet compartment is a partitioned space that is located within a toilet room, and that normally contains no more than one water closet. A toilet compartment may also contain a lavatory. A lavatory is a sink provided for hand washing. Full-height partitions and door assemblies can comprise toilet compartments where the minimum required spaces are provided within the compartment. https://www.ada.gov/law-and-regs/design-standards/2010-stds/

A Toilet Compartment is not a toilet room. it is in a toilet room.

And NO you do not, per ADASAD, need a closer on the toilet room door.
Yes, I'm aware of the difference.... that's how I started my inquiry.
Thank you for confirming that closers in single-use toilet rooms are not required. I didn't think so, but wasn't sure if I was missing anything.

VAC, does your concern about having both a latch and a closer relate to the additional 12" push side clearance required by ADA 404.2.4.1?

VAC, does your concern about having both a latch and a closer relate to the additional 12" push side clearance required by ADA 404.2.4.1?
No. I'm aware of that.
I just didn't know if a closer was required on a single-use toilet room door as the equivalent of a self-closing door in a compartment, since I am only aware of the latter one. But princeofpen mentioned (above) that no because in a single-use toilet there is more maneuvering clearances than in a compartment, and that makes sense.