• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Stairwell

liarchitect

Bronze Member
What is the accessible min width between handrails on a stairwell for a 2 story building with elevator.

Occupancy of 2nd floor is 79 people and there are auto sprinklers. NYC code

I am currently looking at 1007.3 exemption 2 which would allow me to use less then the 48" min. 1009.1 is telling me my absolute min would be 44" but is that between handrails or full tread width?

% % % %

Section 1007.3 says "minimum clear width between handrails", so I would

go with between handrails.

% % % %

Does anyone know of an exemption that doesn't require me to make the stair "accessible" necessarily since i have an elevator? I am in a bit of a space crunch

with this stair and fighting for every inch.

Also is there any code specs on min dimensions of handrails, i know height but what about projection into the the stair tread space.

The elevator cannot be your accessible means of egress unless it is provided with standby power in accordance with Section 2702 and 3003. It must also comply with emergency operation and signaling device requirements in ASME A17.1.

If a sprinkler system is installed, then Exception 2 of Section 1007.3 does not require the clear width of 48 inches between the handrails.

Handrails can project into the required stairway width by 4.5 inches on each side. Therefore, the minimum 44-inch width can be measured to the wall if the handrail does not project more than 4.5 inches.

The 2009 IBC has requirements that make this a little clearer by stating that the projection can be at or below the handrail height; thus, a guardrail with a handrail directly on the top does not reduce the required width, and the required width can be measured to include the space 4.5 inches beyond the stair-side face of the handrail if no wall exists.

stairs are never wheelchair accessible; whether or not an area of refuge in the stairway is required depends on your local amendments to the Code.

At least two accessible means of egress are required by Section 1007 for the upper floors. An elevator with emergency power is considered one accessible means of egress.

Stairways in vertical exit enclosures or unenclosed stairways per Section 1019.1 may be used for the second accessible means of egress. If enclosed, an area of rescue assistance is required per Section 1007.6.

Exception #3 of Section 1007.3 provides that an area of refuge is not required in building equiped with fire sprinklers throughout.

kilitact said:
Exception #3 of Section 1007.3 provides that an area of refuge is not required in building equiped with fire sprinklers throughout.
Depends on the code version....IBC 2000 and 2003 provided an exception for the area of refuge requirement in sprinklered buildings, IBC 2006 took out this exception and required areas of refuge in sprinklered buildings.

IBC 2009 brought back the exception provided to sprinklered buildings by revising section 1007.3. IBC 2009 also added two additional exceptions to the area of refuge requirement. According to the revised section, Group R-2 occupancy and smoke protected seating areas complying with section 1028.6.2 are exempt from the area of refuge requirement.

In order to answer the question, I think that it depends on the code version the OP's using, could be the 1967 UBC

Which is what based on what? Some in this thread refered to the 2009 IBC. from past threads NY code can be well, different, from diferent posters.

According to the NYC Building Code, the area of rescue assistance is not required in unenclosed stairways if an automatic sprinkler system is installed throughout (Section 1007.3, Exception 1).