• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Units

dpohlman

So I am working on designing townhouses, where every unit is multi-story and does not have living space on the first floor - a Garage would be located on the first floor.

Since there is no elevator service and no way of having an accessible unit, do I need to provide Type A unit or Type B unit?

What state/jurisdiction is your project located in?
Different jurisdictions have different applicable codes.

Last edited:
It is hard to make a suggestion because I don't know how many stories make up the one multi-story unit. If the dwelling unit is multi story internally, meaning that the home is not all on one floor and there are steps within the unit, to get from one floor to another, within the dwelling unit, those types of dwellings are not covered by the Fair Housing Act. Even if you have four of the clustered together. If it is a carriage style house/resident the parking for that multi story needs to be the one under it, and the unit above the parking has to have more than one story internally, to not be encumbered by the FHAG.