• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Wash Rack

Alias

The city received a grant to build a new wash rack at the junior livestock grounds a couple of years ago. It is a nice new installation and the kids can now wash the steers separately from say, oh, the sheep or horses. As this was a grant, the state told us it had to be accessible. Here is the solution we came up with:

View attachment 1278

View attachment 1278

/monthly_2010_04/0404080946.jpg.90238cfd4ebf046f524a6962e3dba6c6.jpg

Re: Accessible Wash Rack

Even without the grant, what would exempt it from accessibility requirements?

brudgers said:
Nothing. Just another strangeness in my day to day on the frontier. Local contractor built the wash rack but forgot the ramp. City came in and fixed it. He probably didn't think that someone in a wheelchair would be using the facility to wash a steer. I am still explaining accessibility and trying to get compliance, especially with remodels.........

Sue

Alias said:
brudgers said:
Nothing. Just another strangeness in my day to day on the frontier. Local contractor built the wash rack but forgot the ramp. City came in and fixed it. He probably didn't think that someone in a wheelchair would be using the facility to wash a steer. I am still explaining accessibility and trying to get compliance, especially with remodels.........

Sue

The contractor almost certainly built what the contractor was contracted to build.

I doubt anything was forgotten.

Particularly on a government job.

It's not the contractor's job to add stuff to meet code.

That's what drawings are for.

If the wash rack was designed to wash steers it was already accessible to handicaped.... Bulls :lol:

FyrBldgGuy said:
If the wash rack was designed to wash steers it was already accessible to handicaped.... Bulls :lol:
The comment I got was if the state meant accessible by humans or animals.......three legged lamb anyone? :lol:

Sue

brudgers said:
Alias said:
brudgers said:
The contractor almost certainly built what the contractor was contracted to build.

I doubt anything was forgotten.

Particularly on a government job.

It's not the contractor's job to add stuff to meet code.

That's what drawings are for.

Drawings, what drawings? City did the pass through for the funds, Prop 40 I think, local livestock assoc. people applied for the grant. We got the news after the state came up to inspect and see how the funds were expended.

I also think that this was done while I was out of the office getting cancer treatment. The assistant director of public works did his best to cover my department while I was sick but missed a few details.

Sue