• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessory Occupancy Question

Ana

I have an existing building with use group A-3 (community center). The client wants to make an area for day care within this building. The new day care area is less than 10% of the building first floor area (it also has a partial basement, and the building is only one level above grade). Would you consider the new daycare area as an accessory area with I-4 use group? then it wouldn't need a fire separation between this area and the A-3 areas. What about the egress? Can the users of I-4 use the same egress path as the A-3 users? (the corridors are not fire rated and the whole building is fully sprinklered)- would the egress path be subject to I-4 requirements or to A-3 requirements since it's accessory occupancy?

Thanks all,

Yes, the Group I-4 occupancy can be an accessory occupancy if less than 10% of the floor area for the first story. The Group I-4 occupancy can share the same means of egress with the Group A-3 occupancy. The shared means of egress would have to comply with the requirements of both occupancy groups; however, if there is a conflict, the most restrictive would apply. Travel distance is the only thing that comes to mind that would be different between the two.

Yes, the Group I-4 occupancy can be an accessory occupancy if less than 10% of the floor area for the first story. The Group I-4 occupancy can share the same means of egress with the Group A-3 occupancy. The shared means of egress would have to comply with the requirements of both occupancy groups; however, if there is a conflict, the most restrictive would apply. Travel distance is the only thing that comes to mind that would be different between the two.
There's an atrium stair that opens to the partial basement in the same corridor that is used for egress, and per my understanding is that unprotected vertical openings are not acceptable in I-4 although that stair is not used for egress, does that mean, in order to comply with the most stringent, I should enclose that stair?? or can I use the requirements for A-3 for the corridor?

Maybe panic hardware too?

There's an atrium stair that opens to the partial basement in the same corridor that is used for egress, and per my understanding is that unprotected vertical openings are not acceptable in I-4 although that stair is not used for egress, does that mean, in order to comply with the most stringent, I should enclose that stair?? or can I use the requirements for A-3 for the corridor?
Just wanted to add that I’m using IBC 2018 and IEBC 2018. Also the daycare will be for children above 3 years old and will be open probably 12 hours per day. Just in case you need this info to help me.

Vertical openings are not prohibited in Group I-4 occupancies. See if you comply or make it comply with Section 712.1.9.

Vertical openings are not prohibited in Group I-4 occupancies. See if you comply or make it comply with Section 712.1.9.
I was worried about item #4 circled in the attachment, but I think that since the I-4 is only accessory to A-3 here then the corridor is still part of A-3 not I-4? Or do we consider the corridor I-4 that is more stringent?

Attachments

• 189EE22B-2FD7-472E-8CEF-1147E3B33E92.jpeg
    189EE22B-2FD7-472E-8CEF-1147E3B33E92.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 3
I was worried about item #4 circled in the attachment, but I think that since the I-4 is only accessory to A-3 here then the corridor is still part of A-3 not I-4? Or do we consider the corridor I-4 that is more stringent?
Although it is an accessory occupancy, it is still a Group I-4 occupancy. So if the corridor is open to the atmospherically connected floors, then #4 would be problematic. Can you provide a door to separate the two-story space from the corridor? The code is vague about what "open to" means. The illustration in the Commentary is just an open stairway with no separation between the floor opening and the corridor, and there is no mention of door openings.

Although it is an accessory occupancy, it is still a Group I-4 occupancy. So if the corridor is open to the atmospherically connected floors, then #4 would be problematic. Can you provide a door to separate the two-story space from the corridor? The code is vague about what "open to" means. The illustration in the Commentary is just an open stairway with no separation between the floor opening and the corridor, and there is no mention of door openings.
Someone nice and helpful mentioned to me that it can be considered use group E since it’s a daycare for children older than 2 1/2 years, in that case my problem is solved. I’ll check my specific state amendments to confirm but if you agree with his suggestion then I’m the happiest person on this forum today see the referenced section in the attachment.

Attachments

• AD29356A-257F-4EB7-B0E7-ECC6053ADFFE.jpeg
    AD29356A-257F-4EB7-B0E7-ECC6053ADFFE.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 3
Someone nice and helpful mentioned to me that it can be considered use group E since it’s a daycare for children older than 2 1/2 years, in that case my problem is solved. I’ll check my specific state amendments to confirm but if you agree with his suggestion then I’m the happiest person on this forum today see the referenced section in the attachment.
Yes, if the children being cared for are 2-1/2 years and older.

You may also want to see

436.1Group I-4 special provisions.