• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Accessory Use" on Code Data Sheets and Drawings

ETThompson

How do people designate accessory uses on a Life Safety Drawing, or a Code Data Sheet? I've been looking at several projects I've done as well as some others.

First, for the drawing: we have room tags that include the occupancy - do people use the "main" occupancy (say, A-3) and then put "accessory" in parentheses (or not list that it is accessory at all? Or do you list the actual use - like S-1 for a storage area associated with the assembly occupancy?

Likewise, on the code data sheets, we have a summary table of the different areas by occupancy - again, same question as above, use the "actual", the overriding occupancy (ie, the primary to which the accessory is ancillary) or some hybrid of the two?

It seems important to clearly show, somehow, which spaces one is considering as accessory.

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks

I wish I had a good answer for this, and thank you for trying to take this on.....I might be able to participate in a discussion tomorrow....

I identify each area of the building by occupancy group, whether it is an accessory occupancy or not. Since I provide my clients with colored drawings, they may use the colored drawings in their plan review submittal or translate them into grayscale drawings using a hatch pattern. In my drawings, each occupancy group has its own color. If all or a portion of an occupancy group is considered accessory, I apply a hatch pattern overlay on that portion (usually diagonal lines).

On the code data sheet, I list all occupancy groups and their respective floor areas for each story, then I separately list the accessory occupancies with their respective areas for each story. I complete the calculations (I always show my work in the code data sheet) to show that the accessory occupancies do not exceed 10% of the floor area.

I identify each area of the building by occupancy group
Does an "area" have to be separated? Primarily involved in the design of only assembly, in a lot of rooms, areas with seating and the storage of that seating moves around a lot. Scene shop same with materials for scenery, ditto other areas. (Theatre people are well known for wanting more storage! Hard for them to throw out anything.)

Thanks!

Does an "area" have to be separated? Primarily involved in the design of only assembly, in a lot of rooms, areas with seating and the storage of that seating moves around a lot. Scene shop same with materials for scenery, ditto other areas. (Theatre people are well known for wanting more storage! Hard for them to throw out anything.)

Thanks!
It does not have to be separated, but then you are subject to the requirements for nonseparated occupancies or accessory occupancies for those areas to avoid providing fire-rated occupancy separations if using the separated occupancies method for the building.

It does not have to be separated, but then you are subject to the requirements for nonseparated occupancies or accessory occupancies for those areas to avoid providing fire-rated occupancy separations if using the separated occupancies method for the building.
I'll assume its been considered accessory occupancy. It is a small by percentage of the primary occupancy usually.

Consider telescopic seating. Definitely stored when collapsed.

I'll assume its been considered accessory occupancy. It is a small by percentage of the primary occupancy usually.

Consider telescopic seating. Definitely stored when collapsed.
If the telescopic seating is stored in a recessed area, then yes, the recessed area could be considered a Group S occupancy. However, if the telescopic seating is wall-attached, the floor area occupied by the seating system, when in the collapsed position, is still part of the Group A occupancy since the top row of seats is typically up against the wall to which the telescopic seating is attached.

I use a different hatch pattern for each use in my LS plans and the code data tables notes all the uses, which are accessory, plus calculations, etc. If the LS plans get too busy, or the scale is tiny, I'll do a separate use diagram. Revit really excels at diagrams.

Similar to what Ron said in post #3; I show all calculations, diagrams, code references, etc. on the LS sheets as clearly and straightforward as possible. It helps the reviewers, but it also helps my drafts-people, like a checklist as they go through the process and as a reference on the next project, and it speeds up my mark-ups.

I identify each area of the building by occupancy group, whether it is an accessory occupancy or not. Since I provide my clients with colored drawings, they may use the colored drawings in their plan review submittal or translate them into grayscale drawings using a hatch pattern. In my drawings, each occupancy group has its own color. If all or a portion of an occupancy group is considered accessory, I apply a hatch pattern overlay on that portion (usually diagonal lines).

On the code data sheet, I list all occupancy groups and their respective floor areas for each story, then I separately list the accessory occupancies with their respective areas for each story. I complete the calculations (I always show my work in the code data sheet) to show that the accessory occupancies do not exceed 10% of the floor area.
Can we clone you?

I wish you prepared all my submittals.