• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Actuating Portion of Panic Hardware

LGreene

I always thought this was pretty clear...the actuating portion of panic hardware (the touchpad or crossbar) has to measure at least half the width of the door. For a 3-foot door, that's 18 inches. For a 4-foot door, 24 inches. For a door that's in between 3 feet and 4 feet wide, we use panic hardware for a 4-foot door and cut it down.

There is an alternate interpretation that keeps popping up when someone has a door that's just slightly over 3 feet wide...that the actuating portion just has to extend to the mid-point of the door. I wrote more about it here: http://idighardware.com/2017/03/qq-panic-hardware-touchpad-length/

For the AHJs out there...what would you require/allow for a door that is 38 inches wide? Would you allow an 18-inch touchpad even though it's not quite half the width of the door, or would you require a touchpad that is at least 19 inches wide?

I do one half the width of the door.

Have not had the question come up before, now I am going to be measuring doors and actuating portions!!??

Only time I normally see a problem is with DETEX, and the paddle not being wide enough.

1985 Uniform Code says ” The activation portion of which extends across at least one half the width of the door leaf on which it is installed””

Is there anything in the testing or listing, as far as how close to the door edge they have to be installed??

Maybe look at the wording for panic hardware on balanced doors??? And match it???

I like when similar requirements match closely in wording. It makes trying to figure out what it is trying to say easier.

Last edited:
Consider that though your door may be 38" wide the exposed face on the push side when closed, less the stops is more like 36 1/2", that being the case centering an 18" wide panic would be acceptable to me.

Consider that though your door may be 38" wide the exposed face on the push side when closed, less the stops is more like 36 1/2", that being the case centering an 18" wide panic would be acceptable to me.

Interesting

Well with that thinking

If it would still some how unlatch the strike,

If the panichardware was installed against the hinge side of the door,

Covered one half the width, to meet that,,

Is there a possibility the door may not open if the panic hardware was push in an area near the hinges??

I think word it like it is for balanced doors

1.10.2 Balanced doors.
If balanced doors are used and panic hardware is required, the panic hardware shall be the push-pad type and the pad shall not extend more than one-half the width of the door measured from the latch side.

Lori,

I think that if the code wording was similar to the following that it would end any debate or questions: the overall length of the actuating portion of the cross bar or push pad shall be equal to or greater than half of the total width of the door.

As a guy who didn't grow up in the front end (Spec writer, detailer families) of the door frame and hardware industry (end user is my family) the current wording still allows for misinterpretation (or maybe I'm all alone out here). What do you think about the above wording?

Paul