• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA & A117.1 side clearance for sink

tbz

Silver Member
So Call me an idiot, but I can't seem to find the minimum centerline a sink needs to be from the side wall in the bathroom.

30” space centered on the faucet.
A117.1 does not identify that the clear floor space must be centered.

2017 A117.1 606.2 Clear Floor Space

A clear floor space complying with Section 305.3, positioned for forward approach, shall be provided. Knee and toe clearance complying with Section 306 shall be provided. The dip of the overflow shall not be considered in determining knee and toe clearances.

Exceptions:
  1. A clear floor space providing a parallel approach shall be permitted at a kitchen sink in a space where a cook top or conventional range is not provided.
  2. The requirement for knee and toe clearance shall not apply to a lavatory in a toilet or bathing facility for a single occupant, accessed only through a private office and not for common use or public use.
  3. A knee clearance of 24 inches (610 mm) minimum above the floor shall be permitted at lavatories and sinks used primarily by children ages 6 through 12 where the higher of the rim or counter surface is 31 inches (785 mm) maximum above the floor.
  4. A clear floor space providing a parallel approach shall be permitted at lavatories and sinks used primarily by children ages 5 and younger.
  5. The requirement for knee and toe clearance shall not apply to more than one bowl of a multibowl sink.
  6. A clear floor space providing a parallel approach shall be permitted at wet bars.

Last edited:
30” space centered on the faucet.
That said, your answer is correct I suppose, but the requirement is actually 15-in from fixture center to face of wall.

2021 IPC 405.3.1 Water Closets, Urinals, Lavatories and Bidets

A water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall, partition, vanity or other obstruction. Where partitions or other obstructions do not separate adjacent water closets, urinals, or bidets, the fixtures shall not be set closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures or adjacent water closets, urinals, or bidets. There shall be not less than a 21-inch (533 mm) clearance in front of a water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet to any wall, fixture or door. Water closet compartments shall be not less than 30 inches (762 mm) in width and not less than 60 inches (1524 mm) in depth for floor-mounted water closets and not less than 30 inches (762 mm) in width and 56 inches (1422 mm) in depth for wall-hung water closets.

Exception: An accessible children's water closet shall be set not closer than 12 inches (305 mm) from its center to the required partition or to the wall on one side.

Thanks,

I know the 30 but for the life of me just can't find the c/L and confirmation it does not exist works for me.

Thanks,

I know the 30 but for the life of me just can't find the c/L and confirmation it does not exist works for me.
FYI, I confirmed that it does in fact exist - see IPC Section 405.3.1 that I posted above.

Again the idiot in me never looked at the IPC, I was just looking at the scoping in 2010 ADA and the A117.1.

My bad, best to stay in the lane you know best.

Thanks

tbz, you didn't state the project location. In California we added to the 2010 ADA standards, creating 11B-606.6: "[Accessible] Lavatories, when adjacent to a side wall or partition, shall be a minimum of 18 inches to the centerline of the fixture."

Note that it doesn't measure to the centerline of "faucet" or centerline of "controls". In theory, you could have a 5' long trough sink and the faucet is 2" away from the side wall.

Please also note that in ADAS 305.7.1 if the accessible fixture is located in an alcove deeper than 24", a forward approach requires a minimum 36" clear width maneuvering clearance.

So Call me an idiot, but I can't seem to find the minimum centerline a sink needs to be from the side wall in the bathroom.
If your project is covered by the FHAG and it is a type (b) FHA bathroom this citation applies. It is on page 9512:

(v) Vanities and lavatories are installed with the centerline of the fixture a minimum of 1'3" horizontally from an adjoining wall or fixture. The top of
the fixture rim is a maximum height of 2'10H above the finished floor. If kneespace is provided below the vanity, the bottom of the apron is at least 2'3" above the floor. If provided, full kneespace (for front approach) is at least 1'5" deep. (See Figure 7(c).)

You are not an idiot this information is hard to find.

Yikes,

Sorry deep in the back woods of eastern central PA.

This is one of two bathrooms, both are approximately 84" x 109"

Only thing in each bathroom is a toilet and a sink.

The sink vanity is corner wall mounted and is 32" wide with the sink in the middle, they are straight forward approach or you could always come at anything from the side.

The sink vanity is corner wall mounted and is 32" wide with the sink in the middle, they are straight forward approach or you could always come at anything from the side.
When you say "corner wall mounted", do you mean something like this?
1680388263434.png

Tom....If they are both on the same "wet wall" you need about 7'1" finished/ clear to make it work depending on lav sizing FYI.....
Build a +-20” deep bulkhead (furred wall corner) for the toilet, so that the vanity is recessed into an alcove behind the open side of the toilet. Now there’s plenty of room for the 60” wide toilet clearance, and ADA only requires a 24” wide rear wall grab bar.

What is the distance from the side wall to the paper towel dispenser? dispenser height to operating device?

I don't see anything incredibly alarming. A few items to measure and verify.

One thing that I can see for sure is that the flush control is on the wrong side of the tank.

2017 A117.1 604.6 Flush Controls

Flush controls shall be hand operated or automatic. Hand operated flush controls shall comply with Section 309. Flush controls shall be located on the open side of the water closet.
Exception: In ambulatory accessible toilet compartments complying with Section 604.10, flush controls shall be permitted to be located on either side of the water closet.

Bathroom layout for reference, the second unit is a mirror of the first, all the fixtures were donated for this project.

Bathroom Layout.PNG