• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA accessible cold plunges

Ryan Schultz

Helping a client design a spa. As you can see from the floor plan, each room has a sauna and cold plunge.

The cold plunge looks something like this.

Question: Like the 5% rule for saunas, I assume at least 5% of the cold plunges need to be accessible as well, correct?

If that be the case, does this ADA cold plunge need something like a swimming pool chair lift to make it accessible?

20240502 - Pure Health - Madison - Refined Layout.jpg

The ANSI standard has commentary about this.
2017 ANSI 117.1 1009.1.3:
 Hot tubs or spas can be constructed so their edges
are at grade or elevated to the height of the pool.
Options for providing entry are by pool lifts, transfer
walls or transfer systems. If there is a group of hot
tubs, then only one in each location is required to
have an entry point.
The text does not address when there may be different
types of spas, such as a cold tub and a hot tub.
These are sometimes provided associated with saunas.
Good design would provide an entry point to
both.

I recently went through a project similar in nature. There were several single user cold therapy tubs, and a single multi-user hot tub, all in a single open space. Normally a portable lift is not acceptable, however they submitted an AMMR to use a portable lift which was approved by the AHJ CBO. In my opinion, in this case, the portable lift offered a greater level of access than if a single stationary lift was installed. If a stationary lift was used, it would have served only one of the tubs in total, either the cold or hot, but not both based on the ANSI standard not differentiating between the two types. With a portable lift, access could be provided to any of them.

Sifu, Think if it was me I would have required a fixed one for the hot tub and a portable to serve the multiple cold pools. If the only portable is in use at one of the cold pools someone could get cooked a little too long in the hot tub. :)

Sifu, Think if it was me I would have required a fixed one for the hot tub and a portable to serve the multiple cold pools. If the only portable is in use at one of the cold pools someone could get cooked a little too long in the hot tub. :)
I actually brought that up in the critical thinking exercise for the AMMR with the CBO. The AMMR included language to ensure the staff would constantly attend the spaces containing the tubs.