• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA bath rooms?

RJJ

Co-Founder
I have a space that has altered both M&L bath rooms. No walls have been mover and no plumbing pipes have been relocated. However, the bath rooms are less compliant then the original. Also work was done without permits. Electrical lights & switches changed,Ice make relocated etc. A2 occ.

Now for back ground the original restaurant was approved in 1988 by me and the state under L&I.

The baths at that time would not have complied to the full bore of ada under present code. But, grab bars and reach ranges did happen to be in line as well as approach to the sink. Thoughts on this please. I have a few photos that I will load later.

IMG_0949-1.jpg

Re: ADA bath rooms?

Is the rim of the lav at the correct height?

It looks as though clear floor space under the lav may not meet requirements, but I have to give them one thumb up for their attempt at making the toilet room look good. They got close to getting clear spaces correct. Grab bars of course need to be added back in.

What brought you in to check it out? Permit for something else or just happened to be there on your own time?

Can't mix those materials, someone is gonna puke.

What are those yellow things sticking out from behind the lav base? Almost looks like they left someone behind there with yellow gloves on and they're trying to get out. :eek:

Comment completely unrelated to any code issues... The funny thing is that those materials cost a fair amount of money, and somebody actually spent money to make that restroom look so awful! It couldn't have been much worse before they did the (unpermitted) work!

Get the required permits, and go from there on enforcement/corrections. Or of course do not worry about it as it is a DOJ enforcement issue. You said you had inspected it originally and it was correct. End of story, let DOJ deal with it.

Heaven said:
Can't mix those materials, someone is gonna puke.
Unless walls and fixtures were relocated, I would not have required a building permit if someone described the work as being cosmetic.

If you don't like the materials and want to get rid of them, let me know. They would look even better in my bathroom at home. Although, I would hide the yellow rubber gloves.

---------------------------------

AIA, NCARB, ICC, NCOA, CSI

ICC Plans Examiner

It doesn't appear that the bathroom is accessible at all. How does someone in a wheelchair transfer onto the toilet? Fixture clearances, etc...

There seem to be two issues:

1) There was work done without a permit. Like Dave says, have them pull the right permits and review it from that standpoint.

- and -

2) The feds require these types of facilities to participate in on-going barrier removal. That means that if they can add grab bars or change materials or add an elevated toilet seat, they must do so.

Since you don't enforce the fed's requirements, I noted it only to give you the added ammunition to push for a "proper" permit and design/installation. Ask them if they'd rather hassle with you or the US Department of Justice. :eek:

We have been fighting this for over a year. We have been to court and won for no permits etc. Still have no compliance. Their Attorney is trying to make a federal case out of this for civil rights violations.

During thier fix up period I had sited them for obstruction of a horizontal exist enclosure. It took about two weeks to get it cleared. Next began the fight over permits. Electrical, Plumbing and alteration to the bath rooms. These bath rooms did not comply fully with ada if one were to look at A117, but they had been constructed under 1987 /88 regulations that were in place in PA. The alteration have left them less usable then what I had approved in 88.

Not sure how this will play out in the local courts! :roll:

If they're making it a civil rights issue, then they go to the "barrier removal" requirements of the ADA and I don't think they'll be happy with the result. Anyway, THAT would take it out of your hands anyway.

Assuming that this is under the 2006 IBC, the text in 3409.3 if pretty clear in that second sentence:

"Alterations shall not reduce or have the effect of reducing accessibility of a building, portion of a building or facility."

If they did, they can't.