• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Neeks

Hello All,

For context I work for a bicycle rack manufacturing company that also installs its products in California. We are currently trying to get a job in San Francisco, CA and the MOD (Mayor's Office on Disability) requires ADA compliance for our stacked units. Below will be a diagram as well as an explanation of the situation we are in.

"Depending on how a bike rack is configured, we do consider if the rack is mounted on a post, post mounted objects have greater limitations, 12 inches instead of 4. See graphic below:
znHPS423uU-bc4R1fTGGBcizi5zcbq9c07HqpmztNQf1FIafg980Wj11prM3pQ7HPfObMppAqN2f-NTqtbjYeRsHpkdwgk48JEMGNLbLw4tnyGiZ57ASEDcPyk9ALUR1OACvEX1iD5kKACOcYyCon9iE2Y26iO1FPsEpSIsTKeGnDlSp7qvONtidoWAEVqm4wFp4LwMWo8HL2V_Ju_zYGo0R2dNQJr3sdSXP3s5UeCJTzdgO5FmbyDQCrUSMO1__2b7-jV5LuwMQKCeJbAHU7VYadt0LC1vxJReDySDpAYQpV0cA549mJhvrCarRq3US89Sdxc80sZnKUTQlopaCxipaoJZckINGJV9sadEo59cS_XC6YGKnUz4AY-Db95wzEx422BXMCe-67jbsMsuVF_CqXIAR20ak3J2Yh4qpVfHFs9C0S574ZFz6lGGmsowqaZdNKgoMIZuc20eyfM9V6B_27qHg1vYBjUpXa-I6taSTsqIqp3OSA1KYnSanC6K5p9b199fGUxGyHTpzdmclfQCHDQEur1gHVZwM7CuQx8_pBt3cADE0Evje9PdBEQyGJ_au34N7hZmHzaDUavRxYVoGYw24gssPgDhKP5i2o5_sBA_HMxR450R7J2aJLnBa7RfFXHIN6K-CZjatI6hzYKp9wufgS8kpe-KrmlSezFRkEHpdeSUMN61NY6queZG4fQd0-AsP7Ul0Mq6B4YhSjJFHqlSQvXa2uSoxoypPFMbvsY92XKRTHUomhIJi5DGFl4bALmy4zqzXrZ31XUrHtm3Z64CVDWlJ8F8-UKEqtDK9fr5SqXUhAlg=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

What we have found acceptable for a post mounted stacked unit is, if the upper unit is greater than 27 inches above the finish floor and the lower unit is directly below and set back not more than 12 inches from the upper portion, it complies with the post mounted object requirement. We also see where other designs that incorporate a "cane guard" or other device have been used successfully. Most of this is usually worked out during the design and plan review stages so there's no surprises when it comes time for a field inspection."

Our products upper unit protrudes more than 12 inches than the lower unit. As mentioned a "cane guard" can be incorporated to make up for this. However, we need a "cane guard" that also allows the lower bikes to still roll into the lower unit.

My main question is what can be classified as a "cane guard" and what is the minimum height needed off the ground to be considered acceptable?

Sorry but image links not working for me.

Based on description, I'll guess no one ever anticipated this condition - needing to roll something in under protruding objects.

Image Link

Hopefully this image link works for you.

I am currently trying to fix this problem in our company because with this ADA standard it only allows for one brand of bicycle rack to be installed in the city of San Francisco.

Image Link

Hopefully this image link works for you.

I am currently trying to fix this problem in our company because with this ADA standard it only allows for one brand of bicycle rack to be installed in the city of San Francisco.
Can you send us a link that shows the actual type of rack your are trying to install (not just the ADA generic diagram)?

Can you send us a link that shows the actual type of rack your are trying to install (not just the ADA generic diagram)?
Here is the link to the product we want to install. Any dimensions can be found in the "Architect & Contractor Toolbox" section

Thanks, A picture is worth 1000 words.
A "cane guard" is some object below 27" in height that lets a visually-impaired cane user hit it with the cane first, before they smack their body on the rack or other object:
1648685495140.png

1648686407221.png

Options include installing max. 27" high rails, or perhaps wing walls at either end of your bike racks, similar to the old illustration below for a bank of public telephones. Note that this illustration assumed people were walking parallel to the phones, not straight towards them. The 4" rule is for wall-mounted objects, and 12" is allowed for post-mounted objects.
1648685574978.png

In the photo you provided (below), if people will be walking directly towards the racks, I've sketched a red line that could (for example) be a very low curb.
It runs continuous for the length of the rack assembly, and is within 12" horizontally of that handle the woman is holding.
How tall does the curb need to be in order to be detected by a cane? The code doesn't say. I've seen 4", but maybe you could get away with 1" or 2".
Maybe if it's really low, you want to change the pavement texture to the right of the red line, so that a cane user can get an extra warning they are entering a more hazardous area.

1648685059603.png

Last edited:
Hello All,

For context I work for a bicycle rack manufacturing company that also installs its products in California. We are currently trying to get a job in San Francisco, CA and the MOD (Mayor's Office on Disability) requires ADA compliance for our stacked units. Below will be a diagram as well as an explanation of the situation we are in.

"Depending on how a bike rack is configured, we do consider if the rack is mounted on a post, post mounted objects have greater limitations, 12 inches instead of 4. See graphic below:
znHPS423uU-bc4R1fTGGBcizi5zcbq9c07HqpmztNQf1FIafg980Wj11prM3pQ7HPfObMppAqN2f-NTqtbjYeRsHpkdwgk48JEMGNLbLw4tnyGiZ57ASEDcPyk9ALUR1OACvEX1iD5kKACOcYyCon9iE2Y26iO1FPsEpSIsTKeGnDlSp7qvONtidoWAEVqm4wFp4LwMWo8HL2V_Ju_zYGo0R2dNQJr3sdSXP3s5UeCJTzdgO5FmbyDQCrUSMO1__2b7-jV5LuwMQKCeJbAHU7VYadt0LC1vxJReDySDpAYQpV0cA549mJhvrCarRq3US89Sdxc80sZnKUTQlopaCxipaoJZckINGJV9sadEo59cS_XC6YGKnUz4AY-Db95wzEx422BXMCe-67jbsMsuVF_CqXIAR20ak3J2Yh4qpVfHFs9C0S574ZFz6lGGmsowqaZdNKgoMIZuc20eyfM9V6B_27qHg1vYBjUpXa-I6taSTsqIqp3OSA1KYnSanC6K5p9b199fGUxGyHTpzdmclfQCHDQEur1gHVZwM7CuQx8_pBt3cADE0Evje9PdBEQyGJ_au34N7hZmHzaDUavRxYVoGYw24gssPgDhKP5i2o5_sBA_HMxR450R7J2aJLnBa7RfFXHIN6K-CZjatI6hzYKp9wufgS8kpe-KrmlSezFRkEHpdeSUMN61NY6queZG4fQd0-AsP7Ul0Mq6B4YhSjJFHqlSQvXa2uSoxoypPFMbvsY92XKRTHUomhIJi5DGFl4bALmy4zqzXrZ31XUrHtm3Z64CVDWlJ8F8-UKEqtDK9fr5SqXUhAlg=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

What we have found acceptable for a post mounted stacked unit is, if the upper unit is greater than 27 inches above the finish floor and the lower unit is directly below and set back not more than 12 inches from the upper portion, it complies with the post mounted object requirement. We also see where other designs that incorporate a "cane guard" or other device have been used successfully. Most of this is usually worked out during the design and plan review stages so there's no surprises when it comes time for a field inspection."

Our products upper unit protrudes more than 12 inches than the lower unit. As mentioned a "cane guard" can be incorporated to make up for this. However, we need a "cane guard" that also allows the lower bikes to still roll into the lower unit.

My main question is what can be classified as a "cane guard" and what is the minimum height needed off the ground to be considered acceptable?

There are many pieces to your puzzle as far as the California Accessibility provisions are concerned. I would highly recommend, as does the state, to employ a CASp individual to provide a site visit and report. Yes, it will cost some money, but their written document is accepted by the courts as you attempting to protect the individuals needing these safeguards in place. At least check that out to see if this could be a permanent fix for the issue rather than doing something that does not meet the code, you get fined or sued anyway, then still need to fix the issue.