• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Compliant Sliding Glass Doors in California

ctc607x

Hello Everyone,

I would like to recieve a consensus on the interpretation of California Building Code Sections 1132A.2 and 1132A.3 as they relate to sliding glass patio doors that are required to be accessible in a Covered Multifamily appartment complex (Apartment Units only not common areas).

1. Under CBC Section 1132A.2, would a sliding glass paito door in accessible/adaptable units be considered a "Secondary Exterior Door" which leads from an accessible route of the unit to a usable balcony/patio?

2. If the sliding glass patio door is considered to be a "Secondary Exterior Door" and would need to comply with CBC Section 1132A.3 Width and height of doors. Would a sliding glass door assembly that measures 6 feet 8 inches in height that has a door that is 6 feet 5 inches in height in the assembly meet the requirements of CBC Section 1132A.3 requirement #1. [B]Doors shall not be less than 6 feet 8 inches in height[/b]?

I have reviewed prior California Building Codes up to the 2001 edition where this requirement was not identified. It appears in the 2007 and 2010 CBC. Has anyone dealt with this matter before? Any information/interpretatio would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

+ + +

To any Forum Moderator, ...please delete the above post

as it is Spam........Thanks!

+ + +

1 and 2

Yes, an accessible door is required to the patio and/or balcony in an accessible unit.

Some of my multifamily builders have chosen to use french doors in the accessible units.

Side note:

Both the CBC and the FairHousing require the access