• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Equivalent/Resonable Accomodations

glzath

IBC 2015

We have a design for a small, 2-story office area (Use "B") attached to a manufacturing facility. The first floor has a couple offices, a small testing lab, locker rooms/toilet rooms and a break room. All elements have been designed to be accessible including the entry and access route to the building.

The second story has a much smaller footprint (1,400 square feet) and contains an open office plan and conference room. Access is by a single stairwell.

An Architect from another office of ours commented that the second floor floor is not accessible. I'm still looking for the citation, but I thought that the fact we have the primary functions covered on the first floor and can supply reasonable accommodations (office, lab, toilet, break), the second floor would not need access ... aka, an elevator.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: And sure as shootin', right after I hit post I find 1104.4 Exception 1; "
An accessible route is not required to stories and
mezzanines that have an aggregate area of not more
than 3,000 square feet (278.7 m2) and are located
above and below accessible levels."

Last edited: