• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Exit signs

hans@dha-architects.

kind of a silly question confirming my answere, but I'm finishing up an apartment building and they're installing the exit signs, building has a central accessible entrance/exit and there are exit stairs on each end of the building connected by a long corridor, the electrical plans called for accessible exit signs at the stair doors on the first floor, one of the stairs exits at grade and ramps down to the parking lot (so that would get the accessible exit sign like the central exit), the other stair discharges onto a landing and then three steps down to the sidewalk, I don't have an area of refuge in the stairwell or outside as the building is sprinklered (but someone in a wheelchair could realistically exit the building onto the landing), so I would assume that accessible directional exit signage would NOT point to that particular exit?

Does this help Hans?

1013.1.1 Accessible Exits

Where exit signs are required by Section 1013.1 of this code, accessible exit doors at the level of exit discharge that lead directly to accessible paths of exit discharge shall additionally be marked by the International Symbol of Accessibility. Such symbol shall be not less than 6 inches (152 mm) high and shall be incorporated into the required exit sign or shall be located directly adjacent to it. Such symbol shall meet the requirements of Section 1013.

As at least 2 of your exits need to be accessible, so maybe only 2 get signage...other than the braille that they all get...

1009.1 Accessible Means of Egress Required

Diagram
Accessible means of egress shall comply with this section. Accessible spaces shall be provided with not less than one accessible means of egress. Where more than one means of egress is required by Section 1006.2 or 1006.3 from any accessible space, each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress.