• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA requirements for residential restroom that may turn commercial

eyden

I wasn't sure how to sum this up in a title.

The project is a 1950s motel with a detached single story single family residence where the owners live. The motel check-in office is part of the residence--a small room accessed by a sliding door off the living room. The motel is entirely run by the family. As part of the remodel, we are trying to separate the check-in office for the future possibility of a non-family member employee. The client has asked for a bathroom that can be accessed both from the residence and the office in a way that they can lock the door to the residence during work hours. As it stands, with the office and bathroom (as well as laundry and house keeping) being a part of the residence only used by family, I do not think the bathroom would need to be ADA. However, I don't want to open them up to issues in the future if they hire an employee who would then be using that bathroom. The main concern is ADA restrooms are large and this is a very small space.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

If it is accessed from the commercial side (the office), it is commercial, period, No matter that the residential will use it primarily. JMHO

Merry Christmas to All!

Come on New Year, 2020 can KMA!

If it is accessed from the commercial side (the office), it is commercial, period, No matter that the residential will use it primarily. JMHO

Merry Christmas to All!

Come on New Year, 2020 can KMA!
That's what I feared. If it stayed solely family run, with the office accessed through the house as it is currently, would the restroom need to be ADA? The office is commercial, sure, but if you run a business like a masseuse or accounting out of your home office, would you be required to provide an ADA restroom?

Ditto to all prior and Happy Holidays.
Commercial is commercial
ALSO, how many accessible units do they have (duh)?

All commercial restroom door locks have to be ADA compliant. Hence, having ADA-compliant restroom door locks might be helpful in your case. For example, these locks ADA compliant door locks do not cost much, have a modern design, and various finishes. So, just install these locks and never get back to this question.