• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Section 707

north star

Sawhorse
& ~ & ~ &

I am looking for guidance on Section 707.5 Speech Output, in the Architectural Barriers Act
Accessibility Guidelines ( ABAAS ).

RE: Section 707.5 seems to require speech capabilities at an ATM, however,
Exception # 1 allows for audible tones instead of speech.........Exception # 3 seems to not
require either speech or audible capabilities.

Please clarify !

Thank you !

& ~ & ~ &

I work for a bank. Pretty sure our atm’s have a jack for earphones. That way the customer can hear the machine but the transaction is private.

Text of Section 707.5
707.5 Speech Output. Machines shall be speech enabled. Operating instructions and orientation, visible transaction prompts, user input verification, error messages, and all displayed information for full use shall be accessible to and independently usable by individuals with vision impairments. Speech shall be delivered through a mechanism that is readily available to all users, including but not limited to, an industry standard connector or a telephone handset. Speech shall be recorded or digitized human, or synthesized.​
EXCEPTIONS:
1. Audible tones shall be permitted instead of speech for visible output that is not displayed for security purposes, including but not limited to, asterisks representing personal identification numbers.​
2. Advertisements and other similar information shall not be required to be audible unless they convey information that can be used in the transaction being conducted.​
3. Where speech synthesis cannot be supported, dynamic alphabetic output shall not be required to be audible.​
Advisory 707.5 Speech Output. If an ATM provides additional functions such as dispensing coupons, selling theater tickets, or providing copies of monthly statements, all such functions must be available to customers using speech output. To avoid confusion at the ATM, the method of initiating the speech mode should be easily discoverable and should not require specialized training. For example, if a telephone handset is provided, lifting the handset can initiate the speech mode.
707.5.1 User Control. Speech shall be capable of being repeated or interrupted. Volume control shall be provided for the speech function.​
EXCEPTION: Speech output for any single function shall be permitted to be automatically interrupted when a transaction is selected.​
707.5.2 Receipts. Where receipts are provided, speech output devices shall provide audible balance inquiry information, error messages, and all other information on the printed receipt necessary to complete or verify the transaction.​
EXCEPTIONS:
1. Machine location, date and time of transaction, customer account number, and the machine identifier shall not be required to be audible.​
2. Information on printed receipts that duplicates information available on-screen shall not be required to be presented in the form of an audible receipt.​
3. Printed copies of bank statements and checks shall not be required to be audible​

For more information on Section 508 consult the Access Board's website at www.access-board.gov.

# ~ # ~ #

Thanks for the input ** e hilton ** & ** Mark Handler ** !

My dilemna is this..........I have a GSA leased facility that is required to
comply with the Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standards ( ABAAS ),
NOT The ADA !.............The vendor for the ATM, has language in their
Install Instructions and marketing literature that says "they comply
with the ADA."

Q): Can I legally accept their ATM if their own literature does not
even mention the ABAAS ?

FWIW, ...both Accessibility Standards have the same language.

I understand the intent of both of the Standards, ...just trying to be
accurate regarding the "letter of compliance" to the ABAAS.

# ~ # ~ #

# ~ # ~ #

Thanks for the input ** e hilton ** & ** Mark Handler ** !

My dilemna is this..........I have a GSA leased facility that is required to
comply with the Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standards ( ABAAS ),
NOT The ADA !.............The vendor for the ATM, has language in their
Install Instructions and marketing literature that says "they comply
with the ADA."

Q): Can I legally accept their ATM if their own literature does not
even mention the ABAAS ?

FWIW, ...both Accessibility Standards have the same language.

I understand the intent of both of the Standards, ...just trying to be
accurate regarding the "letter of compliance" to the ABAAS.

# ~ # ~ #
Does it meet the ABAA Standard? if so the literature is irrelevant.
if you want to cover your A**, have the Manufacture write a letter that it meets the ABAAS.

$ * $ * $

Mark, ...thanks for your input !............It is my interpretation that the Standards
of the ABAAS have been met, regardless of the manufacturer's literature.

I; nor my supervisor, cannot \ will not request any clarification letter from the
manufacturer..........Once again, this is one of those instances where it would
ruffle too many feathers with Leadership and the entity coordinating the
installation of the ATM.

& ~ & ~ &