• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA walkway and railings

Kendra

I have a situation where a client wants to do an ADA "walkway" (not ramp because it is 1:20 slope) from his parking lot to the front patio/landing. The landing is 1'6 1/2" off the ground. Technically, a handrail is not required on this walkway from my understanding. And not required on the landing because it is less than 30" from the ground. It still seems high for someone in a wheelchair to be on any incline without a handrail going up to a 1'6 1/2" elevation though? Can someone tell me if I am understanding this correctly?

Also, considering this is not technically a "ramp" would I need a "landing"?

All bets are off on a "sloped floor" until a 30" drop.....As far as code is concerned, but code does not always regulate bad design....

Never mind the wheelchair ... as i age like fine wine i find handrails to be useful.

A railing and landing are not required by code.

However, a minimum railing and edge protection (ADASAD 405.9 & 505) would be prudent. A full guard isn't necessary.

Not sure how a walkway becomes a ADA walkway, but as noted, 1:20 is not a ramp, thus no handrails required.

As to installing handrails with edge protection, I agree with Paul definitely prudent.

If the owner does not want to spend the money or maybe look at them, once someone goes off the side they might rethink it.

How wide is the walkway, 48" is preferred. What is its length and how do you accommodate 2way traffic?