• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Adding Sound Barrier to UL Listed Assemblies

nsmarch

Per IBC Section 721.1, “Where materials that change the capacity for heat dissipation are incorporated into a fire-resistance-rated assembly, fire test results or other substantiating data shall be made available to the building official to show that the required fire-resistance-rating time period is not reduced.”

Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find substantiating data that shows adding a sound barrier to a UL Listed floor-ceiling Assembly would not reduce the fire-resistance-rating time period? (ie. adding Homasote 440 to UL L583)

Thanks!

Just speaking from memory but as remember in the front of the UL Directory and in the General Notes of the GA Manual they address this. Again memory, in a floor/ceiling I think you have to add an additional layer of Gypsum Board if you add batts to the assembly if they are not shown.