• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Addition or alterations?

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Existing building is R-2
2018 IEBC
[A] ADDITION. An extension or increase in floor area,
number of stories, or height of a building or structure.
[A] ALTERATION. Any construction or renovation to an
existing structure other than a repair or addition.

They are planning to enclose an existing 3rd floor wood deck. The deck floor and structure is not being changed except for some repairs of rotted wood. It will be more interior space but not sure if it is more floor area. Would this be an addition or alterations according to IEBC?

Addition, especially if the deck area was not part of the building area originally (i.e., covered by the extension of the roof or story above).

If it has a roof over it, it is already floor area...

[BG] AREA, BUILDING. The area included within
surrounding exterior walls, or exterior walls and fire walls,
exclusive of vent shafts and courts. Areas of the building not
provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the
building area if such areas are included within the horizontal
projection of the roof or floor above.

If it has a roof over it, it is already floor area...

[BG] AREA, BUILDING. The area included within
surrounding exterior walls, or exterior walls and fire walls,
exclusive of vent shafts and courts. Areas of the building not
provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the
building area if such areas are included within the horizontal
projection of the roof or floor above.
You have to be a little careful here. If the "roof" of the patio is partially supported by the building and covers only the patio and not part of the enclosed building area, it can be considered a "canopy" by definition, and is only subject to the requirements of Section 3105, and not subject to Chapter 5's building area requirements. However, if the building's roof construction extends beyond the exterior wall (i.e., "the horizontal projection of the roof") to provide cover over the patio, it is part of the building area by definition.

You have to be a little careful here. If the "roof" of the patio is partially supported by the building and covers only the patio and not part of the enclosed building area, it can be considered a "canopy" by definition, and is only subject to the requirements of Section 3105, and not subject to Chapter 5's building area requirements. However, if the building's roof construction extends beyond the exterior wall (i.e., "the horizontal projection of the roof") to provide cover over the patio, it is part of the building area by definition.
And that could be plausible if Rick didn't say that this was a third floor situation....

And that could be plausible if Rick didn't say that this was a third floor situation....
Ha! I completely overlooked that part.

However, a deck is a deck. It is not an extension of the story and, even if elevated, is not part of the building area if no roof or floor above extends over it. Even if the deck was on the roof of the second story below, it does not add to the building area or height, unless it is covered by the horizontal projection of the roof.

Ha! I completely overlooked that part.

However, a deck is a deck. It is not an extension of the story and, even if elevated, is not part of the building area if no roof or floor above extends over it. Even if the deck was on the roof of the second story below, it does not add to the building area or height, unless it is covered by the horizontal projection of the roof.
And you are correct there....I ASSUMED there was a roof over it already..... ;)