• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Addition to Uncertified Building

E87

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I must say I think it is great! I am a young, licensed architect who is working hard to learn the codes and how to apply them. That being said, I stumbled across an interesting situation and was hoping for any of your feedback on it.

My client has an existing, UNCERTIFIED BUILDING, which does not fall under L&I jurisdiction, so that throws me into the IEBC or Ch. 34 of IBC. The project scope is to put an addition onto this uncertified building. I understand that the addition will fall under the IBC code for new construction and shouldn’t be a problem.

My question is about the existing portion of the building. Which section of the IEBC do I need to follow? Would it fall under Chapter 9 – Change of Occupancy, since it technically never had a Occupancy permit? We are not doing any alterations to this portion of the building (unless required by code).

Also, if I am correct in assuming I am to follow Ch. 9, just for an example, Section 912.8 Accessibility requires the building to have at least one accessible entrance. There are NO accessible entrances on the existing building, but if I put one in the new addition, will that satisfy this requirement? I guess what I’m asking is even though the addition is new, can I include that in my analysis of Ch.9 of the IEBC?

Thanks so much for your time and I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Our office always considers uncertified buildings to be a change of occupancy because they were never built in compliance with the Fire & Panic Act of 1927 to begin with therefore it does not matter what it was or what it will be. I suggest you contact the BCO or plan reviewer for the jurisdiction you are in to verify their position. There is a similar thread posted not too long ago that has information that you will need.

First let me say welcome to the board.

Second follow jars suggestion and meet with the BCO so you are on the same playing field and working as a "team" to get a compliant safe building.

104.2.1 Preliminary meeting.

When requested by the permit applicant or the code official , the code official shall meet with the permit applicant prior to the application for a construction permit to discuss plans for the proposed work or change of occupancy in order to establish the specific applicability of the provisions of this code.

Exception: Repairs and Level 1 alterations.

104.2.1.1 Building evaluation.

The code official is authorized to require an existing building to be investigated and evaluated by a registered design professional based on the circumstances agreed upon at the preliminary meeting. That's you The design professional shall notify the code official if any potential nonconformance with the provisions of this code is identified.

101.5 Compliance methods.

The repair, alteration, change of occupancy, addition or relocation of all existing buildings shall comply with one of the methods listed in Sections 101.5.1 through 101.5.3 as selected by the applicant. Application of a method shall be the sole basis for assessing the compliance of work performed under a single permit unless otherwise approved by the code official. Sections 101.5.1 through 101.5.3 shall not be applied in combination with each other.

Basically as the design professional if you choose the IEBC you choose to use Chapter 3 or Chapters 4 thru 12 or Chapter 13. It is your choice

FYI, E87 is in PA. PA did not adopt chapter 1 of the IBC. We have our own PA-UCC section for that.

Your references, however are very good, just not applicable in PA.

Excuse the hijack Please. But does "uncertified" refer to the fact that the building never had a certificate of occupancy or is there a particular definition in PA law?

TIA

Bill

jar546 said:
FYI, E87 is in PA. PA did not adopt chapter 1 of the IBC. We have our own PA-UCC section for that.Your references, however are very good, just not applicable in PA.
Did they adopt Chapter 1 of the IEBC that is what I referenced. If they didn't adopt at least Part One Scope and Applicability then it makes it hard on the BO and designer use the code as intended.

FYI

Chapter 3 is the same as IBC Chapter 34 Sections 3401 through 3409 and Chapter 13 is the same as IBC Chapter 34 Section 3410

If the building never had a c of o from PA L&I under the fire and panic act then it is not "certified".

PA did not adopt Ch 1 of the IBC but Ch 1 of the IEBC is adopted. I thought your reference was to the IBC

Thank you all so much for your input! Jar, I agree that it will most likely fall under the Change of Occupancy section, that is what I was thinking as well. But as many of you suggested I think my first action should be contacting the local AHJ and talk to them about this situation, that way we are all on the same page before we start. I typically like to meet with the AHJ before I submit for approval to avoid any surprises and having to tell my client, whoops, we now have to re-design a portion of your project. So again, I thank you all for your responses and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

And unless the building was built pre-adopted codes or has a previous approval, it is not "existing".