• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Additional concrete for press buildings

thenamesbond

I am looking for a general formula to use or amount to use for adding to the standard 6-8" concrete floor for buildings. How much needs to be added for press buildings that will be able to withstand the weight of large presses and will also handle the vibration

Welcome Mr. Bond!

I would think it would be more of a" compaction under the slab or reinforcement in the slab" issue, more than a "how much more unreinforced concrete do I throw at it" thing....but I am no expert....Where is George Roberts when you need him....?

Needs engineered design including information on the presses, the impact loading and the soils in the given area. These often get very large deep footings isolated from the floor. Presses vary considerably in size and weight and what kinds of loading they impose on their footings. Some weigh a pound or two and sit on the workbench and then they range to 2650 tons machine weight. Are they printing presses, metal stamping presses or????

Also need to see that the press line does not obstruct egress, we are holding a permit for some press foundations that add over 100 feet to egress travel distance over allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank said:
These often get very large deep footings isolated from the floor.
Agreed, the manufactures will have very specific specs, often originally designed in a foreign country that your engineer will have a ball translating to US standards.:wink:

I will also be looking forward to your future thread in the commercial electrical forum when a sharp inspector questions the listing of your new $2.5M toy.:razz:

Welcome to the Forums.