• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Adoption of ICC Zoning Code

Uncle Bob

Has your AHJ adopted any ICC Zoning Code?

I will be working on a new zoning code; and, am considering adopting the 2009 International Zoning Code.

Motives are; Lazy; thinking it will provide a good foundation and can be amended to meet local needs; introduces to the Planning Commission and Board of Adjustments their authority, responsibilities and limitations (especially new members); provides guidance for the Planning Commision and Board of Adjustments.

That is some of my reasoning. If you have adopted an ICC Zoning Code; has it been an effective tool and guide for your municipality?

Thanks,

Uncle Bob

I

Last edited by a moderator:
Jurisdictions that are enacting their first Zoning Regs typically look for guidance from outside sources. Historically, they used a neighboring jurisdiction(s) as a foundation upon which to build their own. Having the ICC as a starting point could be advantageous, but looking at the surrounding jurisdictions will be equally beneficial. Of all the ICC books, Zoning is probably the most ripe for local adjusment. Good luck, and let us know if we can help... although intimate knowledge of local conditions and concerns is your most valuable tool for this one...

UB, as JBI stated, look to neighboring jurisdictions first. Also check the state statutes for the authorities granted to the classification of the municipality. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

UB, what is the population of your jurisdiction? That will have a lot to do with what zoning regs you want to put in place.

I agree with the others. Zoning has to be driven by local issues. The ICC may give you a good start, but the ordinances must address local issues to be affective. The problem of course is that the books can get to be 100's of pages long with local gobbledegook that the lawyers can't even read and understand. This is a huge undertaking for you. Good luck.

P.S. Here we have a weed ordinance. Maybe you could consider a tumbleweed ordinance. You could chase it down the street and site every yard it blows through. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Mule,

Between 6 and 10 thousand. I've read some of the zoning ordinances of larger cities; and as Daddy-O pointed out they are very hard to navigate and understand. That is why I was looking at the 2009 Zoning code; to use as a base.

Even though I am in a smaller municipality; we have most of the same zoning challenges as the larger cities; and, most of the same growth problems.

Zoning is not my strong suit; and, that may turn out to be an advantage. People should not have to hire a Planning Consultant to decifer the code; and, it should be organized in a manner that is easy to read and understand.

Some of the zoning ordinances are so convoluted that I doubt the municipal employees charged with enforcing them, don't really understand them.

I have many long nights, burning the midnight oil, ahead of me.

Ain't it Great, :D

Uncle Bob

Interesting Note: Houston, Texas is the fourth largest City in the U. S. and has no Zoning Code.

Uncle Bob

I agree the IZC could be a good place to start But as others have said, look to your neighbors, if they aren't real out of line, maybe you can dodge the "I don't have to do that (I can do this) in XYZ jurisdiction" BS........path of least resistance, especially starting from scratch.

Good luck, I've always said it is wearing two TOTALLY different hats. JMHO

Uncle Bob said:
Interesting Note: Houston, Texas is the fourth largest City in the U. S. and has no Zoning Code.
When I was in law school I wrote my thesis in Advanced Constitutional Law on that subject even though I had never set foot in Houston. This was of interest to me since it seemed like I was spending half my time fighting zoning codes.

It's also interesting that we spent most of the 20th century using zoning codes to separate industrial, commercial, and several divisions of residential usage, now in the 21st century we seem to be using zoning codes to socially engineer people into living in a mix of commercial and residential usage, with some pretty disastrous results. Zoning is the main tool of the social engineers, usually graduates of the city planning departments of our public university systems.

Are you sure you want to go here Uncle Bob?

You know, now that ya'll have mentioned it; The problems that have been brought to my attention (I haven't started yet); have had nothing to do with the building codes; but, exclusively with site plans, paving, parking spaces, and other zoning codes issues.

Like most communities; there is not much building going on; mostly, some new chain restaurants and motels.

And commercial change of occupancies, that involve non-paved properties, and parking space problems; where city management wants the parking to be brought up to code; and a few cases of residential paving and set backs.

So, the controversies between the former City Inspector and city management, in the past; that I've been told about; were conserning what I've noted above; and nothing conserning the buliding codes.

This is what has brought about my new opportunity for me. Hmmmmm, something to think about. Some food for thought.

Thank you,

Uncle Bob

Good luck. I think the IZC might be the trick to avoid too much upheaval too soon...

The zoning code should reflect existing conditions.

The zoning map is the political football.

The process of developing both should involve lots of citizen input.

Start small, create parking requirements.

He who zones least, zones best.

Brudgers,

I agree. I have watched many municipal council meetings and they spend about half their time granting rezoning to developers; and the Board of Adjustments rips up the rest of the zoning requirements.

Zoning is an ever changing wish list.

Uncle Bob

brudgers said:
The process of developing both should involve lots of citizen input.
We went through a complete redo of our zoning regulations in the last city I worked for. We had NUMEROUS town hall meetings. We posted the meeting dates everywhere!!! City hall, convenience stores, web site, mailers, and so on.

You can't publicize the meetings too much. When you think you've done enough publicizing...do some more. Make several committees and have each committee over a specific portion of the zoning regs.

It took us about 1 1/2 years to go from first meeting to having the regs ready to adopt.