• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Air Conditioning Equipment Sizing

EPrice

Bronze Member
ok, I'm hoping one of you experts can help me with this. I'm looking at a manual J calculation which has been submitted. Because of our low humidity here, the calculated latent cooling load is 0, so the entire calculated cooling load is all sensible cooling load. A/C equipment that has been proposed has a sensible cooling capacity that is less than the calculated sensible cooling load, but the total cooling capacity is well over the total calculated cooling load. Will this work?

Re: Air Conditioning Equipment Sizing

quick answer - no.

I'll bet issue is that the rated capacity of the equipment is at ARI conditions, which is not what the site conditions are. You need to see the capacity at the expected entering air dry bulb and wet bulb, and at the site altitude. It is likely that at the site conditions, the sensible heat ratio is much higher than at ARI conditions. The unit may actually work, but you need different info to determine this.

Re: Air Conditioning Equipment Sizing

no... unless you have no employees, you'll have latent heat...