• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Air Conditioning for Park Restrooms

Hectorins

I have a client who is wanting their Park Restroom to have Air Conditioning (we are a prefab builder). They said their City does not require Energy Documentation (ComCheck). They do not want the building to be insulated. The building is a "U" classification. Can we build it without insulating it if we install a ductless mini split system. Also, they said their other Park Restrooms have A/C, and are not insulated. Thanks for the help.

They may have a "low energy" pass on the energy code....

C402.1.1 Low-Energy Buildings

The following buildings, or portions thereof, separated from the remainder of the building by building thermal envelope assemblies complying with this code shall be exempt from the building thermal envelope provisions of Section C402.
  1. Those with a peak design rate of energy usage less than 3.4 British thermal units per hour per square foot (Btu/h × ft2) or 1.0 watts per square foot (watt/ft2) of floor area for space conditioning purposes.

Is the "Park Restroom" owned by a government entity? If so, is the owner the City that would not require energy documentation?

Is the "Park Restroom" owned by a government entity? If so, is the owner the City that would not require energy documentation?
Yes, the Park Restroom will be owned by the City, they said for buildings of this type they do not require any energy documentation.

To be honest I don't know the applicable code. We are in Texas. I am the sales guy, trying to make sure I do the right thing here, :)
I believe Texas has their codes adopted at the local jurisdiction level. Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio all having their own amendments.

Base code for the State would likely be the Energy Conservation Code of the Texas Industrialized Housing and Buildings Program, so I will answer based upon that for now.

Generally speaking, yes, the building would be required to be insulated. You may find relief via C402.1.1 as a low energy building - See #1 below in red text.

C402.1.1 Low-Energy Buildings

The following low-energy buildings, or portions thereof separated from the remainder of the building by building thermal envelope assemblies complying with this section, shall be exempt from the building thermal envelope provisions of Section C402.
  1. Those with a peak design rate of energy usage less than 3.4 Btu/h ft2 (10.7 W/m2) or 1.0 watt per square foot (10.7 W/m2) of floor area for space conditioning purposes.
  2. Those that do not contain conditioned space.
  3. Greenhouses.

Yes, the Park Restroom will be owned by the City, they said for buildings of this type they do not require any energy documentation.
Not everyone is onboard with climate change being man-made. If jurisdictions have the right to adopt stringent energy codes should they have the right to not adopt stringent energy codes? If the jurisdiction is satisfied, I don't see a problem.

Not requiring Energy Documentation is not the same as not requiring compliance with the Energy Code.

I just made a quick HVAC selection. Using 95 F exterior temp and 75 F interior, 50 cfm outside air to be exhausted, CMU walls, plywood roof and no insulation in a 50 sq ft shack; 77 BTU/hr sq ft is required for cooling the building structure. That does not include energy to cool the outside air being drawn in to be exhausted or any energy to offset body heat, lights, hand dryers, etc.

I was able to classify a building once as low energy, but if I recall, I think I still needed to add some insulation to the walls. The heat generated by the manufacturing process provided the majority of the heat and we supplemented with unit heaters. Cooling was not provided or even practical.