• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

air conditioning required in rentals

What I am saying is that the IPMC does not address the AC as being a hazard and requiring the AC portion to be maintained.

From the 2009 IPMC

General Comments

The primary objectives of mechanical and heating

equipment inspections are to detect, identify and abate

any condition that is a potential fire or explosion hazard;

is a potential cause of asphyxiation or carbon monoxide

poisoning; poses the risk of physical injury to an occupant;

prevents the equipment from adequately performing

its intended function; or that otherwise endangers the

occupants or the structure.

From the Purpose section

The purpose of Chapter 6 is to establish minimum performance

requirements for electrical and mechanical facilities

and to establish minimum standards for the safety

of such facilities.

The intent of Chapter 6 is to abate any potential fire or explosion hazard;

is a potential cause of asphyxiation or carbon monoxide poisoning.

No where in the IPMC does it specify that the house has to be "cooled" to a specific temperature. I don't like it either but in my opinion you cannot require the AC to work as intended. Only the heating!

I'd have to agree with Mule on this one. The IPMC does not require cooling, only heating. The requirements on maintaining the mechanical equipment have to do with safety provisions in order to prevent issues such as problems with carbon monoxide from occuring.

I agree with mule's points on this.

But I still would do an inspection on a saftey related issue, like overloading the circuit & wiring issues on the A/C unit or in the case of a window unit being properly secured in the window if called by the tenant.

pc1

I agree with Fatboy here. Any mechanical equipment provided must function. While a/c is not required but, supplied it must function properly. As I stated in an earlier post we have had landlords remove the condenser completely and it wasn't in the tenant lease agreement to provide a/c and we couldn't do anything about it. If it's there it has to function properly.

Whats the definition of function properly? Turn on and off, blow air, how cool? I agree with Mule on this one it is not required equipmet. If not a safety hazard I leave it alone. If it is in the lease to provide AC then its a matter between the landlord and tennant.