• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Aircraft hangar question anyone?

righter101

Gold Member
IBC 412.5 Residential aircraft hangars.

This section specifies that anything meeting the definition/criteria, shall comply with 412.5.1 through 412.5.5(book says .2, but .5 per errata).

I have a structure under construction for a residential hangar.

They want to install a heating appliance now, in the hangar, specifically a direct vent gas appliance.

Do any of the provisions of 412.4.4 "Heating Equipment" apply, or is that specific to hangars that are not "residential".??

thoughts?

I think that since 412.5 acts as a charging statment that directs you to the provisions for residential hangers, and since 412.5.4 speaks specifically to mechanical systems for residential hangers it would apply, not 412.4.4. JMHO

Fatboy, I understand what you are saying about a "charging statement"...

but would the initial

"412.1 General. Aircraft-related occupancies shall comply

with Sections 412.1 through 412.7 and the International Fire

Code."

apply>?

I just want to make sure this thing is safe. It seemed like 412.5.4 only dealt with the fact that mech, plumbing, etc, should be independent of the attached dwelling.

I wasn't sure how to treat the heater.

They want to put a direct vent LPG heater in the hangar and something about it seems potentially dangerous.

I will look in nfpa 58 and see if there is any LPG wisdom about aircraft occupancies.

all thoughts and IMHO's are appreciated.

thanks.

Based on the specific criteria outlined in the definition in 412.2, and the scope of 412.5, the scope of a Residential Aircraft Hangar does not appear to involve 412.4.

Consider, we don't require an "exit access" to also meet the requirements for an "exit," just because the same term appears in the other definition.

The commentary suggests, "The hangar must be integral to a residential home on the same property. As such, the hangar would be considered the same as the private garage used to store the home's motor vehicles."

Also, if you invoke 412.4.4, then must 412.4.6 also be applied?

Last edited by a moderator: