• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

aircraft rebuild

codeworks

Gold Member
what kind of classification would a aircraft power plant rebuild (engine) place be class 1, div 1 or class 1 div 2? would it be looked at lie a repair garage (commercial) wev have no nfpa docs to work with:surr

codeworks said:
what kind of classification would a aircraft power plant rebuild (engine) place be class 1, div 1 or class 1 div 2? would it be looked at lie a repair garage (commercial) wev have no nfpa docs to work with:surr
513.3 Classification of Locations.

(A) Below Floor Level. Any pit or depression below the level of the hangar floor shall be classified as a Class I, Division 1 or Zone 1 location that shall extend up to said floor level.

(B) Areas Not Cut Off or Ventilated. The entire area of the hangar, including any adjacent and communicating areas not suitably cut off from the hangar, shall be classified as a Class I, Division 2 or Zone 2 location up to a level 450 mm (18 in.) above the floor.

© Vicinity of Aircraft.

(1) Aircraft Maintenance and Storage Hangars. The area within 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from aircraft power plants or aircraft fuel tanks shall be classified as a Class I, Division 2 or Zone 2 location that shall extend upward from the floor to a level 1.5 m (5 ft) above the upper surface of wings and of engine enclosures.

This could help you to start thinking. The aircraft could be void of fuel or engine removed to remote location for repair.

Is the facility a hangar? If not, and the equipment has been removed from the aircraft, maybe it is a simple F-1.

I did one a few years back (Pratt&Whitney) and it was just F1 I believe....no real fuel or anything involved, they just take the turbines and rebuild them into generator engines.....

To clarify.......it might not be classified at all....(per NEC)

Last edited by a moderator:
+ + +

From the `06 IBC, Section 306.2:

306.2 Factory Industrial F-1 Moderate-hazard Occupancy.

"Factory industrial uses which are not classified as Factory Industrial

F-2 Low Hazard shall be classified as F-1 Moderate Hazard and shall

include, but not be limited to, the following:

Aircraft

Appliances

Athletic equipment

Automobiles and other motor vehicles

Bakeries

Beverages; over 12-percent alcohol content

Bicycles

Boats

Brooms or brushes

Business machines

Cameras and photo equipment

Canvas or similar fabric

Carpets and rugs (includes cleaning)

Clothing

Construction and agricultural machinery

Disinfectants

Dry cleaning and dyeing

Electric generation plants

Electronics

Engines (including rebuilding)

Food processing

Furniture

Hemp products

Jute products

Laundries

Leather products

Machinery

Metals

Millwork (sash & door)

Motion pictures and television filming (without spectators)

Musical instruments

Optical goods

Paper mills or products

Photographic film

Plastic products

Printing or publishing

Recreational vehicles

Refuse incineration

Shoes

Soaps and detergents

Textiles

Tobacco

Trailers

Upholstering

Wood; distillation

Woodworking (cabinet)

+ + +

apparently it's an existing hanger and $omeone wants to know "what their options are " if they decide to use it or change occupancy. sorry, i wish i had crystal ball