• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Aisc 360

zigmark

Silver Member
Good Morning/Afternoon depending upon your location... and happy Firday!

Could someone please post for me the definition of "Snug Tight" in regards to high strength bolting out of AISC 360 M2.5.

Thanks for the help.

ZIG

The 2004 RCSC Specification defines a snug-tightened joint as a joint in which the bolts have been installed in accordance with Section 8.1." Note that no specific level of installed tension is required to achieve this condition, which is commonly attained after a few impacts of an impact wrench or the full effort of an ironworker with an ordinary spud wrench. The plies should be in firm contact, a condition that means the plies are solidly seated against each other, but not necessarily in continuous contact.

It is a simple analogy to say that a snug-tight bolt is installed in much the same manner as the lug nut on the wheel of a car; each nut is turned to refusal and the pattern is cycled and repeated so that all fasteners are snug. Essentially, snug-tight bolts utilize the higher shear/bearing strength of high-strength bolts with installation procedures similar to those used for ASTM A307 common bolts, which are never fully tensioned

Aisc 360

Mark-

Thank you for the post. I noticed you started one sentence with a quotation but then did not end that sentence with one.. oversight? or was that not a direct quote? I was hoping to get a direct quote, no disrespect, to eliminate any interpretation. I have a good idea about what I think it says but I want the verbatim for fairness to the client and to eliminate any discrepancies. At one time I had thought the snug tight condition was in reference to the "turn of the nut" method but have failed to make that connection although they are similar they are not exactly the same.

Thanks!

ZIG

Nice! That link really helped me out. When I fugure how to thank you I will be sure and do that. After seeing that site and realizing that the standard was not only viewable but printable it started me thinking abut how many other links there are out there to referenced standards the ICC uses.

How useful would having all of them known to the members of this board stickied in a thread or under a new category be? I know that in my department where budget for books is limitted it would be extremely useful. Maybe that is subject for another thread.

Again, Thank you for the help!

ZIG