• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

All in a Days Work

Paul Sweet

Sawhorse
Ever wonder why architects (including me) sometimes don't keep up with codes as well as they should? I found the following letter on a CADD forum several years ago:

Dear Mr. Architect:

Please design and build me a house. I am not quite sure of what I need, so you should use your discretion.

My house should have between two and fifteen bedrooms. Just make sure the plans are such that the bedrooms can be easily added or deleted. When you bring the blueprints to me, I will make the final decision of what I want. Also, bring me the cost breakdown for each configuration so that I can arbitrarily pick one.

Keep in mind that the house I ultimately choose must cost less than the one I am currently living in. Make sure, however, that you correct all the deficiencies that exist in my current house (the floor of my kitchen vibrates when I walk across it, and the walls don't have nearly enough insulation in them).

As you design, also keep in mind that I want to keep yearly maintenance costs as low as possible. This should mean the incorporation of extra-cost features like aluminum, vinyl, or composite siding. (If you choose not to specify aluminum, be prepared to explain your decision in detail.) Please take care that modern design practices and the latest materials are used in construction of the house, as I want it to be a showplace for the most up-to-date ideas and methods. Be alerted, however, that the kitchen should be designed to accommodate, among other things, my 1952 Gibson refrigerator.

To insure that you are building the correct house for our entire family, make certain that you contact each of our children, and also our in-laws. My mother-in-law will have very strong feelings about how the house should be designed, since she visits us at least once a year. Make sure that you weigh all of these options carefully and come to the right decision. I, however, retain the right to overrule any choices that you make.

Please don't bother me with small details right now. Your job is to develop the overall plans for the house; get the big picture. At this time, for example, it is not appropriate to be choosing the color of the carpet. However, keep in mind that my wife likes blue.

Also, do not worry at this time about acquiring the resources to build the house itself. Your first priority is to develop detailed plans and specifications. Once I approve these plans, however, I would expect the house to be under roof within a week.

While you are designing this house specifically for me, keep in mind that sooner or later I will have to sell it to someone else. It therefore should have appeal to a wide range of potential buyers. Please make sure before you finalize the plans that there is a consensus of the population in my area that they like the features this house has.

I advise you to run up and look at my neighbor's house he constructed last year. We like it a great deal. It has many features that we would also like in our new home, particularly the 75-foot swimming pool. With careful engineering, I believe that you can design this into our new house without impacting the final cost.

Please prepare a complete set of blueprints. It is not necessary at this time to do the real design, since they will be used only for construction bids. Be advised, however, that you will be held accountable for any increase of construction costs as a result of later design changes.

You must be thrilled to be working on as interesting a project as this! To be able to use the latest techniques and materials, and to be given such freedom in your designs is something that can't happen very often. Contact me as soon as possible with your complete ideas and plans.

PS My wife has just told me that she disagrees with many of the instructions I've given you in this letter. As architect, it is your responsibility to resolve these differences. I have tried in the past, and have been unable to accomplish this. If you can't handle this responsibility, I will have to find another architect.

PPS Perhaps what I need is not a house at all, but a travel trailer. Please advise me as soon as possible if this is the case.

Re: All in a Days Work

What a idiot of a client.

Doesn't make any sense?

Apparently the sarcasm is lost on some of us... :roll:

Paul - Nice post, and THAT's why I'm (happily) not a DP!

"All in a days work"

Precisely the right title for this thread! I've experienced that same attitude over and over again. Anyone who has a financial investment wants to be able to have all the options available and all the upgrades for free.

As I've often said before, the task of the architect is to split that hair in a way nobody has ever done before.

That just about sums up all the clients I've worked with. ;)

I especially like the "I want bigger but bring the cost down" type of clients. The ones who have no idea of what they want or what they want to pay are also a lot of fun.

That is just plain funny! :lol: Sadly, probably very true, but funny nonetheless.

Excellent posting!

Response - From a plan Reviewers point of view

Dear Mr. Plans examiner:

Please review this house plan that I have but don’t make any corrections that I don’t like. The book you refer to as a building code is actually just a book of suggestions and anyway I am a taxpayer and I pay your salary so technically you work for me.

My house should be exactly as I envision it to be and have between two and fifteen bedrooms. The exact number is not relative to any fees you may feel compelled to charge. Just base them on two bedrooms and if I decide to add more, I’ll come back in and pay a pittance more, if I feel like it. Remember, I pay your salary so technically you work for me. The value of work is not relative because a plan review is a plan review regardless of the size and complexity of the building.

Keep in mind that the house I ultimately choose is not relative because the code is the code, yet it really isn’t because it is just a book of suggestions put forth for consideration. The codes, or suggestions, shouldn’t be any more comprehensive that were used for the house I’m living in because I’ve lived there for years and I’ve never had an issue. That proves the design of my house is adequate. There is no point in improving on perfection. I guess it would be okay to bring suggestions to my attention from this new code book and if I agree with it, I will incorporate in to my new house design. I don’t really mind that my floor deflects more than the code book allows, after all I’ve lived in my current house for years and the floor hasn’t caved in yet. The vibration kind of makes my feet feel good, like a massage. Of course if there actually is a failure I’ll be right back at you front door and accuse you of not properly doing your job. After all, I pay your salary and you work for me.

As you review, remember to keep in mind that yearly maintenance costs as low as possible, but don’t expect me to build to the new codes (suggestions) unless I feel like it. My new house should be a showplace when done but should not cost me any more to build that the one I have lived in for the last 30-years. Be alerted, however, that the kitchen should be designed to accommodate, among other things, my 1952 Gibson refrigerator.

To insure that you are reviewing the house correctly, please consult our entire family, neighbors, potential neighbors, the building official with whom we have cut a deal, our councilman whose salary we also pay and owes us a favor because we donated 5 dollars to his re-election campaign and the persons on the list we have yet to compile. They all have very strong feelings about how the house should be reviewed since they are all concerned that we get the most for our money and since they pay your salary……..Make sure that you weigh all of these options carefully and come to the right decision. I, however, retain the right to overrule any choices that you make.

Please don't bother me with small details right now. Your job is to provide the information that I want and not to concern me with any details that I do not consider important or that will make the project cost more than the house I am currently living in. I do however want the best of everything. This review needs to be done within 24-hours just in case I decide to pull the permit tomorrow

While you are reviewing this house specifically for me and to satisfy my current concerns, keep in mind that sooner or later I will have to sell it to someone else. It therefore it must have all the latest innovations and should have the necessary element to satisfy the banks and appeal to a wide range of potential buyers. Please make sure before you finalize the review of these plans that there is a consensus of the population in my area that they like the features this house has, but it shouldn’t cost me any more than the house I am currently living in.

Please review the complete set of blueprints. It is not necessary that you concern yourself with what we actually intend to build since these prints are intended for the purpose of getting a building permit. We will concern ourselves with the details later. Be advised, however, that you will be held accountable for any inadequacies found in the design we actually build because we pay your salary….

You must be thrilled to be allowed to deal with us and work on our project as we are well connected with the building official, the city council and other important folks. This could grease the skids for keeping you employed for a long time if you play your cards right and make us happy. This kind of an opportunity doesn’t present itself very often. Please contact me tomorrow morning and let me know when I can pick up my permit.

PS My wife has just told me that she disagrees with many of the instructions I've given you in this letter. As the man charged with making me happy at warp speed it is your responsibility to resolve these differences. I have tried in the past, and have been unable to accomplish this. If you can't handle this responsibility, I will have to find another plans examiner in your jurisdiction that wants to make the rapid advancements I have detailed herein.

Big Mac:

LMAO, because I think that same person came into my office a while back.

Paul,

"You must be thrilled to be allowed to deal with us and work on our project as we are well connected with the building official, the city council and other important folks."

As I read your OP; I pictured the major national home builders that I've been assigned to inspect; and, especially the above statement. Also, several builders will have four or five different home designs for the same foundation.

I know that you Architects and Engineers didn't begin your degree plan, with the vision of having to design to minimum or less than minimum code requirements, using the least expensive materials, and/or with the expectation that you could design to even less, where the builder had the municipality in his hip pocket.

Here's hoping you find many clients that want and demand your very best,

Uncle Bob

Big Mac..........I'm not sure how that applicant can be in so many places, at the same time......... LOL :roll: