• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

All new plumbing, no backflow

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If an existing home has all of the plumbing completely replaced from where it enters the foundation through-out the house. Would backflow prevention be required?

If you are referring to the potable water supplies, see Section P2902

in the 2006 IPC.....Not sure which codes you are using in Pennsyl-tucky.

In some locations, such as floodplain & floodway areas, ...some will

install "backwater" type devices on their sanitary sewer drain lines.

backwater_valves_rdax_400x213.jpg

Also, the local AHJ may have adopted some type of ordinance to require,

or disallow certain backflow requirements, such as on Residential lawn

sprinkler systems. Check with the local AHJ also!

Last edited by a moderator:
JAR,

Backflow for what? If they replace all of the plumbing it would need to meet current code but a backflow would only be required if they had lawn irrigation, a water assisted sump pump, a greywater system or something similar.

northstar nailed it for the sanitary sewer, as far as potable water, the fixtures really take care of themselves, short of things daddy-o mentioned, add a boiler/hot water system filled with glycol....

Sewer backflow prevention is dealt with by the sewer department. They issue a permit for a hookup with their requirements. Some sites do need backflow prevention. I expect the sewer people do an inspection.

As for potable water. The plumbing code requires backflow prevention on hose bibs, irrigation, and such. That the plumbing inspection should cover.

Then, as to the OP question, yes, backflow protection complying with the code (IRC), would be required, at least here anyway.

Oooooops!....That should have been Section P2902 in the " IRC "! :eek:

Jar - are you refering to outlet/device protection - to protect the occupants of the home, or a backflow device at the service, to protect the public water supply?

Your protection may be in the meter pit supplied by the water utility. O/S hydrants should have backsiphonage devices depending on the age of the house and when the muni or state began enforcement. 2006 IPC608 may be in play if adopted.

See IPC 101 and 102 also.

pc1

Last edited by a moderator:
jar, where are you getting the requirement that you have to install backflow protection just for a re-pipe?

I agree IRC applies. I just don't see where you have to provide backflow protection. Are you talking about a backflow preventor or things link vacumn breakers on hose bibs and things of that sort?

Just about everything produced now meets the code as far as air gaps, vacuum breakers anti-siphon and such.

If you are talking about re-piping a house and requiring vacuum on hose bibbs, requiring the ball-**** in the toilet to be an approved device, nor allowing any hoses to be attached to sinks without any type of protection....yes.

I read the question that are you requiring a backflow preventor on re-pipes as in a double check. Guess I read it wrong.

So to answer your question....Yes our jurisdiction requires backflow prevention devices on re-pipes.

Agreed Mule....I have seen a couple fire jobs with old wash sinks in the basements that don't have an air gap and I don't let them reconnect...